Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
SFF PC
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadmax
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:41:49    Post Subject: SFF PC Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Guys

I am looking to build a sff pc, its going to be used for occasional gaming and also act as a htpc, after lookin around for a bit i have settled on this bare bones system

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-11083/

i was wondering if anyone could suggest a graphics card that will run quite quiet, will not draw too much power and still provide a certain level of performance, oh and it needs to run under mce2005 !! Bang Head
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:04:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When it comes to graphics, keep in mind there are two camps (ATI and Nvidia), and you'll get different opinions from both camps.

Me, I like Nvidia for reasons I won't get into here Smile

I would definetly say go with a GeForce 6600. If that is too much power for what you will need, check out the GeForce 6200.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:41:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would not suggest a high end card in a SFF system. Unless you plan on putting in additonal fans, it's just going to be an extra heater in your house.

I have an MSI Mega system, and I run the on-board video becuae of all the heat. So if your going to put in an add in video card look for something that is cool enough to take passive cooling.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:50:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The 6200 series does use passive cooling. But no idea how good they really are Grin

Was going to suggest the XGI cards, but they don't currently offer a PCI-Express card, which is what he will need (unless he goes old-school PCI).
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:27:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i would go the 6200 and do an aftermarket heatsink with a mild fan.
Cloakmaster
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:15:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i wouldn't go so high up, its not really an optimum system so i would say something like a fx5700, or maybe fx5200. Those work just fine for what you would probably do.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:55:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, but a good cheap 6200 will cost about the same as the others Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

sadmax
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:13:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for some great tips guys! Most of the cards you mention are Nvidia, are these the better option for pci-e? When I first started to look for cards i came across this

http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-RX80L256V.htm#

too much of a power drain, too high spec and too expensive but still quite nice Grin
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:41:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To be honest, there isn't anything "wrong" with ATI, but everybody has their preference. Mine happens to be Nvidia, I don't pay much attention to the ATI stuff.

For ATI cards, maybe the X300, X600, X700 series would be a good option.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:43:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was going to suggest ATI... Despite the coolness of the XGI cards, I now use a passively cooled 9600 Radeon in my HTPC, with a ATI HDTV Wonder next to it...

What you might want to look at is a All-In-Wonder (vide card and tv tuner on one)... unless you have a tv tuner already. An HTPC has to have a tuner! Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: