Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
!!Power supply help!! i think..?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloakmaster
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:13:04    Post Subject: !!Power supply help!! i think..? Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey,
i have an old computer that i wanted to upgrade, so i bought a
Pc Chips M811 FSB266 motherboard, with a Duron 1.8Ghz. i also have a dvd player, 10GB and 40GB HDD's, and pc3sumthin Ultra 400Mhz RAM with 512MB. the motherboard had no onboard video, so i got a BFG FX5500 128MB Over-Clocked Graphics card. My power supply says it runs at 250 watts, but its around 5 to 7 years old. when i turn on the computer, fans whirl, and the hdd reads for a sec, then nothing happens. no screen activity or anything. Any Help?

-Cloakmaster
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:24:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That supply isn't enough to run that equipment. It won't take too much power, or even a whole lot of quality, but an old 250 isn't going to cut it. Time to spend a bit and move up to a minimum of 350 watts.
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:28:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

First off Welcome to Big Bruin I hope you enjoy yourself here

The power supply could be the problem, 250 watts is pretty weak by todays standards. You could try and see if ti will boot with only the bare minimum of parts. That would be the CPU with HSF, ram, and video card. Disconnect all case fans, hard drives, optical drives, and anything else that might be drawing power and is not needed. I would also try reseating the CPU , ram , video card as well. There are so many possibilities you just have to start eliminating them one at a time by swapping out parts until you find the culprit.
Cloakmaster
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:28:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok thanks thats what i thought, im looking into getting a Logisys 500W, that should work im guessing.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:42:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dad said what I failed to say in my post!!!

The 500 watt Logi will do you wonderfully. But if you want to make sure that the old PSU is indeed the problem, follow his advise and lighten the load as much as possible and see if it boots. If it does that backs up the low watts theory.
renovation
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:23:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cloakmaster wrote:
ok thanks thats what i thought, im looking into getting a Logisys 500W, that should work im guessing.

that should do the trick Smile also welcome to BIG BRUIN ! Wave
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:28:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Cloakmaster
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:06:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ya haha. the one I am looking at is this one: http://www.pctoys-reseller.com/meshps.html
First site i found it on, i don't have a high budget so.. lookin for cheap prices for good quality Laughing
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:08:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

PC Toys is good, but that site is for resellers only... Unless you are a registered business, you need to look at one of their resellers, or their main pages online store.
Cloakmaster
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:58:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

my uncles own it so i get wholesale prices. ok, i got that power supply. hooked it up, and pressed power, and got the same results! really starting to make me mad. i have some corsair 400Mhz memory in there, but the motherboard only handles 266. could that be it? if not, whats going on in there?! i don't understand why it isn't working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: