Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Morex Cubid 3688 Firewire Mod!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:31:35    Post Subject: Morex Cubid 3688 Firewire Mod! Reply with quote View Single Post

After reviewing the case here, I realized the main thing lacking in this little case was firewire!! The VIA EPIA motherboards have it onboard, and I wanted access to it, so it was time to get out the Dremel!

Items required:

1. Dremel with heavy duty cutting discs
2. Drill
3. Firewire motherboard extension bracket, like this one. The one provided with the motherboard isn't really practical for this project, so I bought a new one... The one I bought was actually from Shuttle.

1. First I took everything out of the case, and marked where I planned to make my rough cuts:

2. With the rough cuts completed (with my Dremel skills I only make rough cuts), I tested the fit, and reassembled the case:

3. I trimmed down the PCI slot bracket that came with the firewire extension, and mounted the firewire extension to the back of the case (looks more "finished" than my Dremeling). In order to compensate for the extra thickness of both the bracket's steel, and my case's steel, I ground the plastic down on the firewire extension to make sure my cables would reach through to it.

4. Then I completed the connection to the motherboard:

5. All put back together, and good to go!!

Not too hard, and definitely worth the time! I only keep a small (6 GB) hard drive in this pc, so access to my external drive is key. My external drive enclosure supports USB 1.1 and firewire, so of course I want the added speed the firewire provides!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

splunk
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:52:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sweet, simple mod. I'm just debating on if I want to go with a 3677/88, or a 2699 to have the ability to use the cheap GBs of a 3.5" drive. My only other draw towards the 2699 was firewire. Damn, and I guess the PCI slot, as I could stick an old 32mb all-in-wonder card in it. Hmm....poop, back to square one.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:07:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi splunk, welcome. Thanks for the feedback... I was so proud of my little mod, and am surprised it took a year and a half for anyone to comment! Laughing

Anyway... Just wanted to say I am still using this case, and I am still generally pleased with it. One issue, which I have read is almost universal, is that the exhaust fan dies early! Mine isn't dead, but it is really loud and 'crunchy' sounding... I am planning a fanless mod to it, but it just hasn't happened yet.

If I were to buy something right now, I'd probably gor for something that allowed for a 3.5" drive... the price, performance, and yeah the price! Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: