Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Morex Cubid 3688 Firewire Mod! 
Doctor Feelgood
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:31:35    Post Subject: Morex Cubid 3688 Firewire Mod! Reply with quote

After reviewing the case here, I realized the main thing lacking in this little case was firewire!! The VIA EPIA motherboards have it onboard, and I wanted access to it, so it was time to get out the Dremel!

Items required:

1. Dremel with heavy duty cutting discs
2. Drill
3. Firewire motherboard extension bracket, like this one. The one provided with the motherboard isn't really practical for this project, so I bought a new one... The one I bought was actually from Shuttle.

1. First I took everything out of the case, and marked where I planned to make my rough cuts:

2. With the rough cuts completed (with my Dremel skills I only make rough cuts), I tested the fit, and reassembled the case:

3. I trimmed down the PCI slot bracket that came with the firewire extension, and mounted the firewire extension to the back of the case (looks more "finished" than my Dremeling). In order to compensate for the extra thickness of both the bracket's steel, and my case's steel, I ground the plastic down on the firewire extension to make sure my cables would reach through to it.

4. Then I completed the connection to the motherboard:

5. All put back together, and good to go!!

Not too hard, and definitely worth the time! I only keep a small (6 GB) hard drive in this pc, so access to my external drive is key. My external drive enclosure supports USB 1.1 and firewire, so of course I want the added speed the firewire provides!!

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved