Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Car Audio In-Dash MP3 / USB Player?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:42:16    Post Subject: Car Audio In-Dash MP3 / USB Player? Reply with quote View Single Post

I've seen a few In-Dash Car Stereo's that are capable of MP3/USB/CD. Where the USB you can use the Flash Memory sticks to play your MP3's from. Anybody have one of these?

Get tired of burning cd's when I want to replace one or two songs on a disk Smile Since I have several USB flash memory sticks around, would be nice to just use one of those, plus it'll hold more than a CD will!

Considering one by Boss Audio, the MP3-4000R
http://www.bossaudio.com/home/catalog/public_html/catalog.php?sNs=1&deptNum=1

But never heard of them to know if it's decent gear.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:55:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Boss Audio is low end stuff. I think places like Kmart, Walmart, Flea markets, etc... used to sell their stuff. But I admit I don't know if they've inproved quality or not.

Buy.com has that player (out of stock right now though) http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90143981&loc=111&sp=1
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:09:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

How I did my radio for longest time.

I hooked my stero system up. Then in the rca jacks that input audi into the amp I took a converter from headphone to rca and plugged it in. So that I could use my mp3 player.

I have never used one of those.

However right now I am in process of compiling a car pc. In which I plan on having USB/Firewire jacks up front near in dash lcd.

However i have used one of those. My friend has one. He loves it. He has a couple of those 1gb flash drives. Ill ask him what kind he uses.

Edit: "I have never used one of those."
"However i have used one of those. "

I contradicted myself. I meant i have never owned one however i have used one.

Last edited by jake_johnson on Thu, 12 May 2005 18:10:20; edited 1 time in total
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:53:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well I do have a wire where I can connect my Archos, or anything with a headphone output to my stereo, but still inconvient Razz

Want it to be really simple to connect and select what I want Smile
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:58:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I really like the idea behind that unit, but I'd be worried about the quality. I think I would want to go into a local store and buy it, not online.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:20:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, that's the same concern I have EC Smile

If it was a Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, Alpine, etc I'd have no problems buying it online, but an off brand like that, I don't know if I want to risk it...

But then again, it's not overly expensive, foudn it for $115 shipped, so that's not too bad. But then I have to find somebody to install it for me Grin
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:36:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

jake_johnson wrote:
However right now I am in process of compiling a car pc. In which I plan on having USB/Firewire jacks up front near in dash lcd.

youre going to need a laptop hdd for that that has the liquid bearing or whatever it is again... youre also going to have to find a way to secure the ram into the dimms since there is a problem w/ them popping out in the vehicles...

were working on a new system full touch screen navigation and pretty much anything you can imagine on it... the only problem is the hdd and ram sometimes.... the hdd because the vibration and bumps from the road keep killing it and the ram for some reason pops out every now and then.... not too often though... the computer idea is fun if youre showing it but not for daily use... you need special stuff so it doesnt suk

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:38:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

FOX wrote:
jake_johnson wrote:

youre going to need a laptop hdd for that that has the liquid bearing or whatever it is again... youre also going to have to find a way to secure the ram into the dimms since there is a problem w/ them popping out in the vehicles...

were working on a new system full touch screen navigation and pretty much anything you can imagine on it... the only problem is the hdd and ram sometimes.... the hdd because the vibration and bumps from the road keep killing it and the ram for some reason pops out every now and then.... not too often though... the computer idea is fun if youre showing it but not for daily use... you need special stuff so it doesnt suk

Thanks for the input. Its not first one i did. I had one in my last car. I never had that problem. I gutted my glove compartment and modified it to be large as to fit it in. Then I mounted a 6" lcd in dash with speakers connectors on left and right. Then on center console compartment when opened a fullsize keyboard was their. And for just using it whilst driving i hollowed out a smart part on top of center compartment wetwene seets and had a small one hand keyboard for scrolling songs. It ran a custom LFS (linux from scratch) dristro. Then I piped the car a/c. into it . And set it up as I drove forward it pushed air into the are where computer was. I had a lot of bends and three stages of filters that where cleaned monthly. But s#!7 It was cool. I would be in a parking lot playing warcraft or somen. This was all done in a 1973 el camino. Right now i have a 1995 Nissan XE/SE hardbody pickup truck. I am probably going to do something similar. I am just waiting on my lcd to come in. (free)

edit: i prefer solid state hdd. Their is this little device you can get to plug compact flash drives into and then use it like a normal hard drive. Then toss a bunch in a raid configuration. Cost more but works with heat better and dont brake. But then you gota deal with more wiring which creates more possibilities to go wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: