Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Corporate back-ups
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekrider
Feeling: Prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:44:11    Post Subject: Corporate back-ups Reply with quote View Single Post

OK.....so my place of work is going through some modernizations (at the speed they do things...this will happen sometime in the NEXT century).

I was asked by the IT guy, "If the building burns down.....where can I take the tape back-ups of our data and get the company up and running again?"

My response....."I dono, where?"

Does anybody here deal with something like this?? Where would I look/go to to find someone with answers??

(side note: I have been placed on a "team" to research ways of implementing/integrating our company web site into the AS400 system to allow our partners (Agents/Drivers) to update some daily work functions.)

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:04:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's part of what I do here at Wells Fargo. Putting together the disaster recovery plan for our department.

One thing you really need to find out, is how fast they want it recovered. Our general rule of thumb:
Less than 1 week = Hardware has to be on hand, installed at offsite location. Rent space at another building, buy hardware with same configuration as you have now.
1 - 4 Weeks = Rented space, ready to install equipment. Contract with vendor to receive equipment within 1 week.
More than 30 days = Order equipment, find rental space at time of disaster.

Even more so than the data recovery, you have to consider where your employees will sit, how you will continue working, etc. Lots to think about for those kind of plans.

There are many facilities around the nation that do this kind of thing. Buildings sit empty until you need the space for some reason.

I'm by far no expert at it, but can give you advice if you want.
trekrider
Feeling: Prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:13:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks Hellfire! I'll pass this info along.

Don't think they have ANY plans as yet!

Matt

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:18:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hellfire is right on with that.

It's going to come down to $$... how much they can afford to be down. That is the driving question... when does down time become business failure time?
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:23:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's pretty amazing how many company's don't have a disaster recovery plan. After 9/11, as you would expect, there was an incredible surge in urgency for many corporations.

One thing to keep in mind, is if your corporation has a second building in another city, that could be a potential recovery site. If it's large enough, has hardware in place. People work split shifts, transfer work to them, etc.

Another thing to consider is to what level do you consider a disaster? Building burns down? City Floods? Hurricane/Tornado/Earthquake damage? 9/11 Disaster? Each one could potentially need a different recovery solution, or just select what's considered your worst case scenario and plan for that level of damage.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:20:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well unfortunately many consider a tape back up a disaster recovery plan. Specially at small to medium size companies.

The problem is also for them to define what services really are business critical. Define the priority applications/services/employee's, determine how fast they are needed to be restored, etc... Plus the cost. Wells can of course afford to have a hot site for their DC (If I remember right it used to be some place on the east coast), but a small to medium size company can't afford a hot site.

Trek if you need more help feel free to ask, and I'll help you out all I can.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:38:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Our IT guy implemented two new HP machines for our File Server and Net App server. They're pretty sweet, I must say. At any rate, he takes a tape backup with him home every night. We also have an off-site colo'd FTP server that stores our most important info.

Colocation is a wonderful thing.

A letter to a soldier
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:48:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, offsite recovery solutions are rather expensive.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:51:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Depending on the OS and GigaBytage, you could have a pretty cheap backup on a colocated server. For example, you can get a server with 80GB of storage (running Linux) for less than $150/month. You could use something like that as a nightly backup for the most important info.

A letter to a soldier
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:56:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sadly... that's not a real disaster recovery plan. But it is what most small business consider one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: