Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Site Moved
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:36:56    Post Subject: Site Moved Reply with quote View Single Post

I moved the site to a new server. We lost a few posts, sorry.

Please make sure that if you made football picks this afternoon that you check to make sure they are still there.

If you see any problems on the site, please let me know!

Thanks! Wave
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:26:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So that's where some of my freeware went...Thanks for the heads-up, Doc.....
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:29:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah - sorry. I think 3-4 of those got lost, one post from me, and one other post.

Not too bad... Laughing

And one script broke that I noticed... Of course it was the newsletter sign up sheet (with the contest ending tonight). It was still processing, so no one's entries were lost, but it puked up error code on the screen after processing.
Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:03:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's cool; I had all of my material bookmarked so it was easy to see what didn't make the trip.....
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:06:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh... and one other thing... For those who may have set their HOST file to point to the old server, you will need to update / delete that entry. (took me a few minutes to figure out why my laptop couldn't connect here Laughing )

The old IP was 72.36.129.29
Now we're chilling at 76.74.180.236

Moved from Dallas, TX to NY, NY.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:15:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sav'n some $$ there huh. Cool!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:18:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Sav'n some $$ there huh. Cool!

Sure... About $120/month! Laughing

I eventually would like to host at home, the only problem is my lack of skills to set up the server. Have the hardware, have the connection... Duh
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

kimchiman
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:54:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

couldn't you use fantastico to set up a virtual server just like the resellers who charge? I'm right in New jersey if you need help. Seems to me once you set it up, you simply reroute your HTaccess file from your current host to your own home and see how it works.
That way if things go bad you delete that file and everything goes back to the old host. You must have a serious # of websites to have saved that much money.

Last edited by kimchiman on Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:19:16; edited 1 time in total
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:05:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
I eventually would like to host at home, the only problem is my lack of skills to set up the server. Have the hardware, have the connection... Duh

I can rent a plane ;-)

P.S. Gentoo is the way to go for home server (or anything), IMHO! emerge apache2

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:10:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I plan to setup this machine I have at home to do it (quad core Opteron, 4GB ECC REG memory, 4x 250GB enterprise class SATA drives...), but the software setup is not my forte. If cPanel/WHM is on a server I am fine... Otherwise I bother Blue|Fusion for help! Laughing

kimchiman wrote:
You must have a serious # of websites to have saved that much money.

No... Just one site with sizeable traffic, and a half dozen smaller sites. The deal on the dedicated server was great at the time, and still can't be touched... But, it is starting to age, I don't need the hassle of 100% self management, and this VPS we're on now probably has more horsepower despite being shared.

The site is bigger, but more efficiently scripted so CPU usage is less... Plus, it was Slashdot and Digg that forced me to go up to a server like that. The frequency of those events is fewer now, and the impact is less severe due to optimizations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Site Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: