Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
TMDS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:15:58    Post Subject: TMDS Reply with quote View Single Post

Haven't started a new topic in a while, but here it goes...

So today I was fiddling around with my Laptop and setting it up to output video to my TV. After toying with that I found some extra odds and ends to throw at my desktop nVidia configuration. While I was doing a little testing I came across something and I'm not entirely sure of what it is and if it is a problem or not. And mind you, I am running Linux on here, but I do have Windows XP installed for gaming if any output from Windows can help.

Anyway, in my Xorg logfile I found the following:
Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 7800 GTX at PCI:3:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0):     ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-1)
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-0): 310.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link TMDS
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-1): 155.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-1): Internal Single Link TMDS

I don't know what TMDS exactly is or if the monitors (same model, but bought a year apart) having different "TMDS links" and maximum pixel clocks are a part of the LCD screens themselves, a difference in cables, or what. The only noticable difference visually is that the newer monitor has more of a red hue than the old one but that is to be expected since there's a few thousand hours of use on the old one (and yes, I did play with the color settings of the monitors).

So is this a normal thing or a bad thing or would more info be necessary? The monitors are both ViewSonic VX922 19" LCDs @ 1280x1024. I used the DVI cables provided by ViewSonic.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:27:04    Post Subject: Re: TMDS Reply with quote View Single Post

Blue|Fusion wrote:
Haven't started a new topic in a while, but here it goes...

So today I was fiddling around with my Laptop and setting it up to output video to my TV. After toying with that I found some extra odds and ends to throw at my desktop nVidia configuration. While I was doing a little testing I came across something and I'm not entirely sure of what it is and if it is a problem or not. And mind you, I am running Linux on here, but I do have Windows XP installed for gaming if any output from Windows can help.

Anyway, in my Xorg logfile I found the following:
Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 7800 GTX at PCI:3:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0):     ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-1)
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-0): 310.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link TMDS
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-1): 155.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VX922 (DFP-1): Internal Single Link TMDS

I don't know what TMDS exactly is or if the monitors (same model, but bought a year apart) having different "TMDS links" and maximum pixel clocks are a part of the LCD screens themselves, a difference in cables, or what. The only noticable difference visually is that the newer monitor has more of a red hue than the old one but that is to be expected since there's a few thousand hours of use on the old one (and yes, I did play with the color settings of the monitors).

So is this a normal thing or a bad thing or would more info be necessary? The monitors are both ViewSonic VX922 19" LCDs @ 1280x1024. I used the DVI cables provided by ViewSonic.

Don't quote me, but I think it's normal. My guess is you have the option of one dual link monitor or two single link monitors and linux is just detecting that abililty. Can't imagine the possibility of 2 dual link monitors from a laptop, although I'm still coming to terms with the fact that you have a laptop with a 7800gtx. NICE!!!

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:37:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Actually, this is on my desktop. The laptop fiddling just led into me changing some of my desktop settings around.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:26:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Blue|Fusion wrote:
Actually, this is on my desktop. The laptop fiddling just led into me changing some of my desktop settings around.

Oh, missed that. Still, I dont think it's anything to worry about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: