Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Packard Bell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:24:25    Post Subject: Packard Bell Reply with quote View Single Post

Did anyone know these guys were still around? Or back?

Yikes

They used to be terrible... wonder if anything has changed...

http://www.packardbell.com/
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:12:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

if you select country on the products page, USA isn't listed Confused
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:26:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Bad? Our first computer was a Packard Bell in 1993. Worked like a charm right up to the day I finally convinced my mom to upgrade from Windows 98 (originally 3.11) on a 1.7GB HDD, 32MB RAM, and a Pentium I to a new Dell workstation in 2004. she used that thing daily at work, too, mind you.

We also acquired my aunt's old PAckard Bell (1989) which was practically the same except only a 600MB HDD, around 4MB of RAM, a Pentium 486, and Windows 3.11 which my sister used for a year or so in 2003. Also worked like a charm until the day I smashed it with a sledgehammer.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:55:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They had a terrible reputation for service and reliability... and I thought they went bankrupt.

I had a P-133 back in 1996, and it was OK at first, but a dog to do anything to. Everything was proprietary and cheap.

Maybe they left the US to swindle Europeans. Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:47:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think someone bought the name.

My first x86 based system was a PacBell 386. Bought in the early 90's sometime. Laughing Ran a dial up BBS on it for a while.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:12:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I thought I saw something aboot PB monitors a while back.

Just like the herpes, they never really go away

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:09:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My first PC back in '95 was a Packard Bell Pentium 75 with 8mb of on board ram and a 1gb hard drive. Radio Shack sold Packard Bell up until a few years ago.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:08:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Used to have a Packard Bell SX-25 4MB of ram. (25Mhz 486 without the math co-processor). My first computer upgrade/oc was to keep the HDD, ram, floppy and psu and replace the case, mobo, video card and cpu. Went with an AMD 5x86 133 and oc'd it to 160 (4x40). Also doubled the ram to 8Mb then eventually 16mb...............I think I paid about $120 for the first 4mb and another $100 for the second 8mb. Don't miss those days too much...................

Last I heard, They were bought out by Compaq. Maybe that was only their US operation though.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:59:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My cousin Curt has one he named Wentworth. I'm pretty sure he still has it running and worships it as a god. Was a 75mhz P5 originally, but I found a hack to make one of Intel's Overdrive processor to work(133mhz w/MMX???)
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:18:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I used to work for the company that handled all the field service for PB. I used to dread calls with that origin. Going to anyone's house who had a Packard bell usually meant they were computer illiterate, had a dog, more than 3 kids and their house showed it. These places were never clean. The computers were, more often than not, shutting themselves off due to heat or "running slow" because of the crap that was loaded on them. Those calls were only topped by having to go to the Purina factory. That SUCKED. I had to reschedule my day as it became necessary to shower after that call. I can't imagine working at that place every day. The dog food becomes this fine dust and it gets in everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: