Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Hard Drive Encasements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puddin
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:30:25    Post Subject: Hard Drive Encasements Reply with quote View Single Post

Is there a case out there that holds multiple hard drives for storage purposes only?

MEaning i can hook up SATA HDs externally and plug them in and have them reconized as one big HD? OR even multiple Externals?

the the cheapest external i foun were denct prices but i liek the internal drives incase i ever wanna put them in a computer.

Any help is greatly apperciated.

Boo Boo

Enigmachine
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:34:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

There are several NAS cases you can buy that will let you add your own HD's, from 1 to 3 in general.

They're usually connected by ethernet instead of USB though, because they're like mini-computers, so they're a bit more expensive, but still reasonable and pretty useful imho.

For example Netgear and D-Link have NAS boxes that are from 100 to 300$, support 2 internal hard drives, JBOD and RAID 1 and ethernet connection... I think the D-Link has USB too...

Anyway I'm pretty sure you can find reviews by googling for Netgear SAN or NAS for instance. It seems to be a fairly popular product.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:24:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

here's one I've been looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822165029

I know it already has drives in it, but it's still not a bad price

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:31:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

We saw these at CES 2006 and thought they rocked. Still like them, but so much $$$...

newegg.com
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:56:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You might also look at link and be sure to google the mods you can make to it. Seems that Linksys made a fantastic product with lots of capability, but since the average user is stupid, they had to dumb down the shipping version. With a little work, you can make it do a lot more than advertised.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:01:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know Ultra has some stackable enclosures coming out.

I would think you could get any enclosure, and use a software raid utility like nvraid to raid them together via USB. I've never tried it though so can't say, or speak to the performance compared to a dedicated raid channel/device.

Would be great if you could do it via SATA/eSATA, so much faster than USB....
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:02:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, from my USB RAID experiment article, USB RAID and Windows doesn't work well at all... Laughing Unless Vista changes things, I would get a dedicated solution.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:08:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Well, from my USB RAID experiment article, USB RAID and Windows doesn't work well at all... Laughing Unless Vista changes things, I would get a dedicated solution.

I remember that 'expirement' Razz

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:16:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

he spelt it right
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: