Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Advice on building a new system
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:54:07    Post Subject: Advice on building a new system Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey Guys,

I'm building a new system this week and I was hoping some experts could give me some suggestions on it.

This is what I'm getting:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
MOBO: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
GFX: XFX NVidia GF7900GT 256MB 550MHz
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500W
SOUND: Creative SB X-Fi Xtrememusic
CASE: Antec P180B

The HDs and memory are coming from my previous system.

Questions:
1. I have 1GB of Corsair PC4000 DDR (4x256MB) that I was going to use. Would it be better to get 2GB of a low latency PC3200 for the new system, or just use what I have?

2. I can't really spend much more than I already have decided on, but do you have any suggestions / changes for the above shopping list?

FYI - This sytem is mostly for gaming.

Thanks
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:11:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Welcome... From the tests I have run and seen elsewhere, 2GB doesn't do all that much for most applications. Some games benefit from it, but its not like a doubling of performance or anything.

To me it would come down to what your budget is. The rest of your system sounds like solid stuff, and you will be spending some serious money. But, if you already have the 1GB set I would run with that, honestly. The performance of the kit you have is very good, and if you mess around in the BIOS you might get it to run lower latency while at PC3200 speeds.
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:19:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've heard that the 4x256MB is a bad way to go though. I've heard that 1GB sticks run better. Thoughts?
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:51:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd stick with the fewest sticks you can, keeping them in pairs for the dual channel mode.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:59:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh... I didn't see the (4x256MB) part. Was that an edit?

Anyway... Yeah, not the best as Hellfire said.

2x 512MB would be cool in dual channel mode, but if you bencmark 4x256 against 2x512 you will see lower performance.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:24:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Use a DFI mobo. Grin
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:36:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Kilamon wrote:
Use a DFI mobo. Grin

You are the 2nd person to tell me this. I really know little about them. What's the best DFI board for my setup? I want NForce 4 dual SLI x16 support.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:02:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Probably the SLI-DR Expert. Check out www.DFI-street.com for more info and stuff on their offerings. I have the SLI-DR and it has capacity for 8 SATA drives, 2 IDE interfaces and 6 external USB slots plus 2 internal, firewire internal (for front port connection), SLI capable on 2 x16 slots, plus all kinds of stuff. If you do get a DFI, you can check the street for up to the minute info and even download BIOS updates that are non-standard that will allow higher overclocking than the standard BIOS. I love both of my DFI mobos. Smile
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:45:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Unless you plan on doing SLi I would go with an ATi X1800XT instead of the 7900GT. You are going to get better performance at a cheaper price.

If you're looking to do SLi then the 7900GT would probably be a better approach (as I think you'll end up spending less).
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:27:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Welcome... From the tests I have run and seen elsewhere, 2GB doesn't do all that much for most applications. Some games benefit from it, but its not like a doubling of performance or anything.

To me it would come down to what your budget is. The rest of your system sounds like solid stuff, and you will be spending some serious money. But, if you already have the 1GB set I would run with that, honestly. The performance of the kit you have is very good, and if you mess around in the BIOS you might get it to run lower latency while at PC3200 speeds.

very very few games show real benefits from 2GB of RAM, you'd probably be better off going for dual channel 1GB and a lower latency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: