Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Diamond semiconductors?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:07:40    Post Subject: Diamond semiconductors? Reply with quote View Single Post

I am not a computer wiz and know little to nothing about all the pieces and components. But I saw a articl in my popular science this week that I found interesting.

They are lookign at the eventual use of diamons as semiconductors. Where silicon breaks down at 250F the diamond semiconductor can go up to temps of around 1300F. As a result they are sayign processor speed of up to 81Ghz can me reached.

I am guessign that this is pretty far off from becomign reality but can you imagin. It would sort of throw computing and processors as we know them now right out the window.

(The article is on how they are now able to grow flawless diamonds in the lab that are even better than those mined from the earth)
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:34:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I'd suspect the introduction of this technology would be quite expensive, even if they do "grow" their own diamonds (which is actually just intense heat and pressure forming them). And if the processor were really running at even half of the diamond breakdown temp, you'd require some pretty good air conditioning in your house Smile .

But I hope the technology comes around someday, neverheless (10GHz+ would be quite fun Smile)

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:39:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Could I get the cubic zirconia version please?
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:11:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

actually it is nto really pressure and heat more liek heat and hydrogen and methane in a special chamber. These things are better than what you find in nature and are exactly the same composition as you find in nature. Poitn is as they start to grow them and the process gets streamlined you are talkign about mass manufacturing. Whe nthat happens yo uare goign to see huge reductions in the price of diamonds. Natural or so called natural dimands may remain high priced cause people are stupid and will think they are better and should cost more. The reality is these grown ones will be better, cheaper and will open up uses to the larger market.

I think 5-10 years from now you may very well be looking at systems with diamond semiconductors that are very affordable.
Tech-Daddy
Rated R

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:27:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Could I get the cubic zirconia version please?

That would be Cyrix?
Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: