Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Cooling the Pentium D
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:03:47    Post Subject: Cooling the Pentium D Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi,

First off let me say I'm new to the forums, but not new to the site (always keep up with the reviews). Now that that's out of the way...I've just recently built my very first DIY PC. I've been running it about two weeks now and no noticeable problems thus far.

With that said, ASUS' AiBooster program reports the CPU at a balmy 43-44C when idle and up to around 60-62C when playing BF2 or COD2. The ambient temperature is reported at 33C most of the time when idle (and room temp is a chilly 20-21C when I can (not summer Sad )). Under load in the same conditions, the ambient temp gets up to about 40C.

I have a Thermaltake Armor case w/ 2 120mm intake fans, a 120mm and 90mm fan on the back, another 90mm fan on the top, and the psu (3 fans) drawing out the exhaust. The CPU heatsink is the thermaltake Big Typhoon, and CPU is the Pentium D 840 at standard (3.2GHz) speed.

I thought these temps were a bit high, however some said that since this is a dual core (and a pentium) it's bound to be hotter. Are these temps reasonable? I was looking at the Thermaltake Blue Orb II (if it'll fit on the P5WD2 Premium mobo), but want your opinions before I do. Are the temps too high? Any suggestions to get them down some more without going to water cooling?

Thanks for any replies. It's greatly appreciated.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:49:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Blue, and welcome.

You're CPU is with in operating spec's (max spec temp is 69.8C). However for best stability you'll want to get it as low as possible (as I'm sure you are aware).

You seem to be doing all the basic stuff right, a good HSF and plenty of moving air. So my first suspect would be your thermal paste. If I were you I'd remove my HSF clean off all the thermal paste get some Arctic Silver 5 and put on a THIN layer.

If this is your first DYI system you probably put on the thermal paste a little thick or not evenly (it's an acquired skill). I always use something like an old credit card put the paste in the middle of the CPU core and from there thin it out to all sides. You really want it as thin as you can possibly get it while still covering 100% of the core.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:00:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the reply.

I already applied the HSP three times. The last time, I used a credit card to get it really thin and it came down about a degree from what it was. I used AS5, too, as I heard that's the best.

I'm wondering if a faster fan on the HSF would work better than the stock fan? It's the 120mm, 1300RPM fan that came with it, but it's rated at 54.4CFM, IIRC which quite a bit, isn't it? Would it help getting a faster one but having to put up with some more noise? I've also heard that turning the fan the other way and drawing the air away through the heatsink in the opposite direction might help. I can see where that's coming from, but wouldn't that prevent good airflow over the northbridge heatsink than? Would it really matter?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I'm a curious kid, lol.

EDIT:
BTW, here's the full specs and some pictures of it during the build:
http://richgannon.net/?style=v1&page=content&id=5

I also changed some of the wiring since those pics to improve airflow the last time I set the HSF on the CPU, so it's not that messy in there anymore.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:35:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just ran 3dmark06 and one the CPU tests, the CPU temp get up to 65C with both cores maxed out. That's mighty close to that max temp, and sorta worries me what can happen in the summer when this room gets up to 80F on the hotter days.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:21:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just to verify you have enough air flow inside the case, pull off the side panel and try running 3DM06 again and see if you drop any.

If you do, tehn you may want to reorient your fans. Generally more air in than exhaust helps.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:22:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tried running it without the side on the case and the ambient temp stayed around 35-36C but the CPU temp was still hih at 63-64C on the CPU test.

I thought I should also add that I enebaled the EIST or whatever it's called in the BIOS so when the CPU is idle, it lowers its voltage and speed to 2.8GHz. I have the option to have the OS to control EIST, but I found it didn't work very well, so the mobo does it instead.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:40:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I may have missed this, but have you checked the CPU cooler for being seated properly on your various installs?

Look for a good, complete impression of the top of the CPU in the thermal paste residue on the bottom of the cooler once removed.

Perhaps it isn't aligned properly, interfering with some small motherboard feature, or maybe turned 180 degrees?!?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:41:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well it's starting to sound like you just have a `hot' CPU. It happens where you just get a CPU that runs hot. It might even break in and start running cooler, but it may not.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:53:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, the problem is pretty simple... you're running an intel chip. Laughing

Seriously, though, the next step to cool it beyond what you have already put, would probably be to water cool it.

What are your benchmark scores?
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:29:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Scores: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=70650

Big Bruin. each time I pulled the heat sink off the CPU, there was a complete impression on the bottom, but not too thick of a paste, atleast I'm pretty sure. And you said it could be 180* off? I don't recall seeing anything on the instructions about which way to mount it. Currently, the fins are parallel to the floor and the fan cable coming out on the right side (closest to cpu fan connector).

I was also wondering how tight it should be down on the chip? I tightened the four thumb screws down to the point where I can't turn them anymore by hand, while putting pressure on the plate so I can get the thumb screws down a good amount. The HSF doesn't move.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: