Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Cooling the Pentium D 
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:00:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote

So it's been a few weeks. I tried all I could to get it running a bit cooler. I moved my primary userspace from Win XP to Gentoo Linux again and finally got around to getting lm_sensors to work. The kernel has been configured with only the necessary drivers and support/options I need, and optimized for this hardware. I varied the kernel frequency timer between 100Hz, 250Hz, and 1000Hz settings. No temperature differences were noted and since theoretically (and slightly noticably when multitasking) 1000Hz is fastest, I'm using that setting. I also tried getting EIST to work in linux, but still need to work on that so it'll step to 2800MHz when not under load.

Anyway, after remounting the heatsink for a fourth time, I managed to get the thermal paste spread extremely thin and got a few degrees shaved off of idle temps (down to 40C idle now). The load temps are still making me sweat (literally!). After compiling a new version of gcc, I went to recompile the kernel with the new version (and tweaked some things unrelated). I think Linux gives a more accurate picture of the temps at load as it stresses the procs more than windows with a 1000Hz (1ms) timer as opposed to Win XP's 200Hz (8ms) timer.

Here's a picture proc's temp in the middle of compiling a kernel (100% load on both cores) after letting it sit idle and cool off to idle temps.

http://richgannon.net/images/hightemp.png

The clear-ish program just left of the center of the screen shows the temps and fan (120mm) RPMs.

Besides from getting a better HSF, can anyone suggest some good 120mm fans? Silence isn't too much of a concern, but want to keep it at a reasonable level but provide a good cooling solution.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved