Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
So would you cancel your land line?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:11:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm getting closer to cancelling my land line... The line is always crackly now. I almost replaced my main phone, until I tried it on the VoIP and realized it must be the line... Don't feel like having Verizon fix the line, may just end it!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:34:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

VoIP would be great, if you also have the cellphone.
Inspite of great advacement in the VoIP including 911 (emergency service in the US, UK uses 999, I think) It's more likely to be out, when you need it most (major disaster, power outage, storms, etc.) landline telephone and some cell service have battry and generator back-ups to keep service active for several days, cable usually does not. (power requirements are to high/remote for a "non-vital service")
If nothing else having the cel to call the cable/VoIP (they maybe different companies) to tell them your service is out.
Most VoIP plans allow call forwarding to the cell or at least a text message to let you know "you have new messages"
Telling the local phone co to &%&%&*^-off would be particularly satisfing.
frankieB
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:51:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

voip is a nice option but we all see the main problem. and we all see the problem with cell phones in the time of a major problem. the system still overwelmed. while i would like to drop my land line, it would be nice to see this push, maybe drop my land line bill, in hopes of keeping me. but also might go up with volume of people moving.
Vertekal
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:54:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've not had a 'land line' in 5 or 6 years. I rarely talk on the phone (I do it all day at work .. last thing I want to do when I get home) but I do have a cell phone. Prepaid thru Cingular .. $20 every 3 months for 80 minutes of talk time that turns into 240 minutes at night. I rarely use 80 minutes in those 3 months.

VoIP would be nice though. I never looked into it.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:14:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Since someone dug this up, here's the latest:

I have just a cellphone now, and don't plan on getting normal phone service. I pay $50/month for Sprint PCS that I took over from my cousin (who got a new phone and a different PCS plan) and get 1000 minutes, free after 9PM and on weekends, plus long distance isn't any more than a local call of course.

I love it, no way I need a normal phone.

Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:38:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I currently have a cell phone, I got it during my tech school. Now that I've arrived at my Duty Assignment, I find no reason to buy a normal phone. I rarely talk on the phone, and my free nights start at 7 p.m. Why buy a 'real' phone, that I'll never use anyway.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:52:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been without a "land-line" phone for about 2 years now. I use my cell phone 100% of the time. My local phone company pissed me off, and I told them to take their lines and shove them as far up their @ss as they could. Verizon pissed me off in November, so we swtiched over to Nextel phones. For $49.99 I have 1200 minutes a month, and after 9:00 for free.

Damn phone companies always pissing me off!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: