Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Linux Help... Cron Jobs
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:15:28    Post Subject: Linux Help... Cron Jobs Reply with quote View Single Post

I am trying to setup automated backups of the site from the active hard drive to a backup drive I have installed.

It is currently doing it, but only creates three files... One that it over writes every night during a backup, one on a weekly basis, and one on a monthly basis.

I'd rather not lose the daily one so quickly, and would prefer to have a whole weeks worth of daily backups available. Currently I also make manual daily backups to my home machine, but would rather it all be automated, and online.

First... Help me understand the commands to make a gzip archive at the command line... Something like:

Quote:
tar c dir/ | gzip > dir.tar.gz

right? (please correct me).

how about to switch drives, using a symlink I have created? something like, for example:

Quote:
tar c home/dir/ | gzip > disk2/archive/dir.tar.gz

Confused

Now, once you have corrected my stuff above, how can I go about making it keep the last few backups like this?

Thanks Linux gurus! Sun

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:37:24; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:19:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You'll need a shell script that analyzes the dates for you. I would recommend having the date in the title - it keeps it simple that way. I'll see what I can come up with after I get home.

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:32:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wait, I see in my Cron Job info that I can not only set them to run every certain number of hours, days, etc... I can actually set them to run on certain days only.

Maybe then its just a matter of having a separate Cron Job for every day? Is that reasonable?

So... would my command above work?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:34:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing I'll show this to Misty, she does this stuff all the time.
misty
Mmmmm... Beer

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:40:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You could always create a script that would append the date to the file name, something like.

#!/bin/ksh (where ever ksh is located)

FILENAME=dir.tar.`date +%m%d%Y`.gz

tar c dir/ | gzip > $FILENAME

I don't know much about gzip, so I can't tell you whether the syntax is right. I would set up one cron jobs to run daily using the script above so each job would have a different name. Then maybe also run a cleanup jobs that would find files older than 7 days and delete them.

Stewie: I was under the impression the name of the show was "Kids Say the Darndest Things," not "Old Black Comedians Never Shut the Hell Up."
misty
Mmmmm... Beer

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:23:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Okay.. ignore me if you want to, but here's how you could make an archive.

#!/bin/ksh (where ever ksh is located)

FILENAME=dir.tar.`date +%m%d%Y`.tgz

tar -cvzf $FILENAME dir/

To write to another drive:

tar -cvzf $FILENAME /disk2/archive/$FILENAME

To cleanup your backups older than seven days you could run this script daily via cron.

find /dir/path -name "dir.tar*" -mtime +7 -exec rm {} ;

Something like that.. I think that will work, I just came up with it so it's never been tested.

Stewie: I was under the impression the name of the show was "Kids Say the Darndest Things," not "Old Black Comedians Never Shut the Hell Up."
misty
Mmmmm... Beer

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:36:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To schedule stuff to run daily in cron at 10pm:

00 22 * * * /dir/path/command

minute hour day_of_month month weekday command

These fields accept the following values:

minute 0 through 59

hour 0 through 23

day_of_month 1 through 31

month 1 through 12

weekday 0 through 6 for Sunday through Saturday

command a shell command

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:05:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Whoa... Thanks! I'll try something once I process all of that! Yikes
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:20:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Great huh? I'm married to a Unix geek... Laughing
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:26:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think I got it. I set up one to take just the public_html area of the site and gzip over onto the second drive at 5 PM on Wednesdays only.

Just got home and see I have a 160MB file with the proper name right where I wanted it! Grin

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: