Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
DirecTV or Dish Network???
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:34:02    Post Subject: DirecTV or Dish Network??? Reply with quote View Single Post

Simple enough...

I am ready to order just need some reason to choose one or the other.

I want 3 rooms, one room with PVR and the others with just sat.

Comments please!!!

DISH - 180 channels with 1 PVR and 2 Rooms $49.99 down and 59.00 a month is what Im leaning towards right now.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:32:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, now it gets more confusing...

I could keep cable, get a Tivo box and use the multimedia functions of the new TIVO2 box. But that cost more per month and cost more initially.

Back to the HTPC option... This would work, but how do you deal with either a sattelite tuner or even a calbe box tuner with an HTPC? How does the HTPC change channels?

I want one thing to do everything and do it all simple, efficient, and easy to learn. This is obviously more difficult then I thought.

The standalone Tivo box will do multimedia from the network, control a cable box and satelite,

I guess I am just thinking outloud here...
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:37:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I find it hard to believe that not one of my entirewebnet family members has a satellite system and can offer an opinion!!!
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:53:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i like the tivo option the best personally... then you can mod the thing and add a bigger hdd in it and have a ton of playback for movies and such

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:56:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

also a lot of times the cable companies will give you a discount when you have multiple things through them like cable and internet... itll cost a bit for but think of all those bad stormy/ very cloudy days out where satellite would be a poor quality...

are you looking for high-defenition at all???

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
trekrider
Feeling: Prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:38:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Three words for you Spire.........Comcast, Comcast, Comcast!

I talked Sandy (the friend I'm renting from) into switching from DSL to Comcast cable internet.....she called to inquire, got a package deal where she ended up switching over her phone lines AND got an upgrade to her cable T.V. subscription. All for a lesser rate than what she was paying before.

And I love my connection speeds!

Dreggs
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:17:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Find someone that already subs to Direct TV, and get them to activate as many recievers as you need. The additional recievers cost $5.00 each per month. You can then sub ALL tiers that DTV offers ( HBO, Showtime, Playboy,sports, everything) and it will run about $90.00 a month,plus extra recievers,then split the bill . Most of the time, DTV will give you free recievers for free, if not, I got 6-7 layng around.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

renovation
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:25:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

tryed dish and direct -for me they sucked want back to cable .
my reason was many
1- when a storm came buy i loose signal
2 - if wind pick up i get bad signal
3 - if it snowed had to go out and shake it off the dish -or no signal .
4- tree leaves would block the signal and they were in someone else's yard
5- every so many weeks have to re-tune the dish
6- lots of channels -but mostly crap i didn't watch or lesson to (radio)
7- had to keep a land line (home phone ) to order movies and get system upgrades
8- once they sold me the unit -they turned into real a-holes and didn't seem to care -unless the bill was late - did that just so i could get there attention . (sometimes it worked )
9- equipment seem to be cheaply made (had welds break on on dish ) and used my own self tappers in to repair it so i didnt have to buy a new system at full price . (also would of been like 2 weeks before they get a repairmen out was told ) so keep a ladder handy Sad
10 - even the repair guys that came out were not happy with the companys -said were slow to reinburst them for equipment they used off there trucks . but were between a wall and hard place seeing they had to pay for what was on there trucks up front .and get a check when the billing cleared .and one did say it take him up to 120 days to see that check :(remember he is there repair agent for the area i live in and im in a major metro . area ! a sub.of detroit .
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 03:29:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

my experiences with satalite have been, bad to say the least. Crappy signals and all that, also some of the channels are just sopies of other channels on different time zones, who needs Nickelodeon east and Nickelodeon west because of it i had to sit through a 5 hour spongebob marathon twice, 8 hours of spongebob does things to the mind, the one time we get a decent signal I'm forced to watch that

get cable

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 09:26:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's obvisouly an old thread (don't know how I originally missed it...)

I can say with my DishNetwork I haven't had any more issues then what I had with comcast. And Dish is cheaper.

But I am looking closely at both cable and satalite again. We (ok mostly I) want to upgrade to HDTV, but I don't want to lose my DVR (it's the only way we get to watch our programs). And right now it's WAY expensive to get HDTV DVR... so I'm waiting and watching.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: