Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Just finished building pc.... all my games crash to desktop!
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceModn
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:20:05    Post Subject: Just finished building pc.... all my games crash to desktop! Reply with quote View Single Post

As the title says, i just completed my budget gamer pc.
specs: NF7-S V2 with Soundstorm
Barton 2600+ with thermaltake silent boost. arctic silver
OCZ dual channel pc2700 2x256
60GB HDD- to be replaced soon
Geforce 5200- 128MB -to be replaced soon
8x dvd burner

The main game i am concerned with is doom3. I cannot go 5 minutes without the game either freezing, going black screen, or exiting to desktop. (The same for delta force.) I have gone through doom3 technical support with no luck. They suggested lowering quality and resolution settings, replacing the config file, updating my video drivers, making sure bios cpu/memory were in spec, and checking cpu.case temps. I have done all these things and my problem continues. Could this be caused by a bad cpu, bad vid card, outdated bios(i have version25 and newest is 26), outdates nvidia chipset/soundstorm drivers, or what? I am extremely frustrated at this point and may have forgot some things..... someone out there please point me toward the dim light.

your time is much appreciated

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:34:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Since it takes some time to actually crash, I would be checking heat related things first.

Do a memtest and see if there are any memory problems.

What FSB and Multi are you running?

open side case and see if it takes longer...

I dont think it is a driver, OS, game issue...

Redo your heatsink first of all... I have set probably 300 heatsinks and I still have problems and have to clean and reseat them sometimes!!!
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:44:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Make sure the fan on the video card is working too.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:09:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm going for heat here too. That or too much OC one the video card or mobo/cpu/ram.

Check you PSU voltages also, the PSU might be crapping out after a few minutes of gaming.

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:14:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea Dud3! is right, PSU will cause the symptoms you have.

It can be getting warm and changing rail voltages.

Install MB monitor and log the different voltages, see if anything is out of place.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:16:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd point to the Video card, or the PSU. Could be heat, but I wouldn't think so after only 5 min's. (Unless it's hot to start with).
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:33:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just thinking out loud here. He said sometimes it crashes to the desktop. I assume the OS is still running. If it was heat wouldn't it crash the OS as well? In my mind most likely suspects are the power supply, video card or a driver conflict.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

bruceModn
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:24:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Right now i am at work and the computer is sitting at home so i cannot answer your questions with full detail, but i'll do my best. I am running at 166Mhz with i think 12.5x(stock settings) The memory is brand new, i originally thought the mem caused the problem so i exchanged the sticks. The power supply came with the case, raidmax cobra http://www.xoxide.com/cobra.html
The case has all the original fans, i think its 4 plus vid fan plus cpu fan. I dont know if the fan on the vid card is operating correctly, but that will be the first thing i check out when i get home. If the cpu is not seated right, would the computer auto shut down even when i am browsing the internet?

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:44:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I did a review on that case for this site and am still using it for my kids computer. Only thing I did not like about it was the power supply. The voltages were not strong enough or stable. I think the power supply is a strong candidate for the source of your problem . I believe BB said Raidmax is considering discontinuing it all together.
bruceModn
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:57:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OHH wow damnit!! i had my friend check the fan on the vid card, it is working good, right now i am running mb monitor. If i have to buy a new power supply, i might as well return the case and get a new one, any suggestions that i could find at fry's for under $90.00? btw ty u all for a speed reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: