A high performance router is absolutely essential for extremely fast internet speed; you'll need it in order to conduct business very efficiently or even to enjoy home entertainment that comes to you via streaming internet applications. You'll also need a very good net connection if you do a lot of online gaming. If a very fast and reliable net connection is very important to you then you need to select the best possible wireless router. There are many options available in the market these days but you can buy the best possible only if you know how to differentiate between them.
1. High speed: A top of the line router might be able to promise you very high speed but this does not necessarily reflect in actual performance. Compare the speed you are promised with the money you have to pay in order to figure out whether it is a good trade for you.
2. Dual band router: This router broadcasts on 2 different spectrum as opposed to ordinary ones that stick to only one spectrum. This provides you with two Wi-Fi networks that can work independently of each other. In effect, you can use the internet on more than one device at the same time whilst still enjoying streaming entertainment on your television or iPad or any other device. You will enjoy excellent picture and sound quality without encountering any interruptions.
3. Guest network: If you have frequent quests at home who might want access to the internet then you should ideally set up a guest network so that they can do so without having access to any of the devices on your network.
4. Stick to the same manufacturer of network adapters: Very often, this results in improved performance and higher speeds.
5. Warranty: This is a very important factor because you need to be able to get repairs or even a replacement done in case the router does not work very well for you as promised.
Once you have made a short list of various routers, you need to see which one of them fits into your budget. Keep in mind that some of them are priced very affordable in order to grab market share. It is also a good idea to buy a high performance router that enjoys very good feedback from amongst users. A little bit of research along these lines will easily enable you to buy the product that works best for you.
Get useful tips on how to buy a very high performance router. Enjoy the best possible internet usage with the right router.
Joined: 07 Apr 2003 Posts: 20349 Location: New Jersey
Posted: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:48:23 Post Subject:
Antennas are good for extending range - sometimes - but not always, and speed within the well covered range isn't going to change. That was a good router back in the day, but what you might spend on a pair of good antennas will get you part way to a new router that will give you G speeds, but hopefully N 150 or 300 speeds, at the minimum.
I see some N 600 routers for around $50 and N 300 for under $40 at Newegg (yeah - some rebates) - but that definitely seems like a better way to go if that kind of money is what you had in mind as being reasonable.
Thanks for the tips! Setting up a separate SSID for a guest network is a good idea; that way you don't have to worry about updating your devices when you need to change the password for the guest login.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum