Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
What the hell is with these "heatpipe" heatsinks?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:10:52    Post Subject: What the hell is with these "heatpipe" heatsinks? Reply with quote View Single Post

OK I see how they look cool but how can these copper heatpipe heatsinks really work that well? OK so if you have 3 pipes on each side you do a decent job of increasing the surface area but... why is there deadspace directly about the CPU?

Why don't we have a massive copper base touching the first 2" of the processor die? At least this would give the heat a better path to travel than a few stinken pipes.

What do you guys think? Or is there a solid copper heatsink I can already get for my i5?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:17:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Whoa - where have you been for the last decade of heatsink development?!? Laughing

They do work well - better than a big slab of metal could!
JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:12:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i miss the old huge hunks of copper! =(
skarydrunkguy
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:47:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would imagine that google might be capable of finding you some (supposedly) nonbiased reviews of heatpipe vs. aluminum fin designs vs. water cooling vs. spaghetti monsters...
JimBowy

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:00:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

did a little more research into heatpipes... didnt realize they had fluid inside all of them. nor did i realize they took advantage of a phase-change process....

thanks guys

Nookie420
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:26:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yeah heatpipes are pretty efficient. the problem with a big hunk of copper over the die, is that while ti does well to absorb heat, that massive of a piece of metal is also a lot harder to cool.
Asus Maximus V Formula | i5 3570k @ 4.7Ghz | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified | | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance | XSPC Raystorm RX 360 Extreme D5 custom loop | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB | WD 2 TB Black | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 800D | Windows 8.1 Pro
[COLOR="#0000FF"]Backup rig[/COLOR]
EVGA 780i SLI | Q9550 @ 3.54 Ghz | EVGA GTX 580 Classified | 4 GB Dominator | Corsiar H100 | OCZ Vertex 4 120 GB | WD 500 GB Black | Antec TQP 1000 | Lian-Li PCA10B | Windows 8.1 Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: