Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Panasonic Slimline Combo Drive
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellor
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:38:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello,

I bought this drive last week.

But is it normal that the drive is very loud if I insert a DVD or CD? Confused
During reading it is very quiet.

Manuel
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:50:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

nellor wrote:
Hello,

I bought this drive last week.

But is it normal that the drive is very loud if I insert a DVD or CD? Confused
During reading it is very quiet.

Manuel

Hi nellor... Welcome!

From my experience... NO. It was audible upon first scan, but nothing about the drive was loud by any means... Burning, reading, idling... all nearly silent.

Are you talking about the mechanism of the slot load making noise, or the spinning of the disk being loud when you insert a new disc?
nellor
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:40:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
Are you talking about the mechanism of the slot load making noise, or the spinning of the disk being loud when you insert a new disc?

Yes, I mean the mechanism. If I insert or eject a disc the mechanism is loud. Is this normal? I have no experience with a slot in drive.....

Manuel
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:49:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess that would be the loudest part of the drive... I think its like a geared mechanism that draws it in and spits it back out... For the 1/2 second or so it takes to insert/eject a cd it will make a humming/churning kind of sound... Shouldn't be too loud or last too long, but what you describe may be normal!
nellor
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:30:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, thanks. Smile

Manuel
Nexxo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:51:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi. I bought two of these drives for my current project, but I need to set them up as Slave drives. Can you tell me whether you connected your test item as a Master or Slave? If it is per default configured as a Master, is there a way to update the firmware to make it a Slave?

By the way, do I need to download any drivers for these drives, or will they work in XP as is?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:00:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... Welcome to BigBruin.Com...

I didn't need any drivers, and I was using XP Pro. Detected them right off the bat just fine. Although I eventually made it a master, I did use it as a slave initially... and I do remember it being kind of difficult at first. I really don't remember much of what I did, etc, but I think I wound up replacing the cable and all was well.

I'll dig through my e-mails later, because I know I asked the review sponsor (Logic Supply) what the deal was before I bothered to try another cable... He was running just about the same setup at the time and didn't have any troubles with it auto-detecting master/slave, so it made me rethink my setup...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Nexxo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:39:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for your swift reply. I e-mailed Panasonic and they suggest that the drive is sold in four different configurations: set up as Master, Slave, CSEL+ or CSEL- (the latter two, I presume, allow you to select your own configutation). They asked me to tell them my serial numbers so they can determine which one I've got...

Watch this space.

Nexxo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:08:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK, Panasonic got back to me and this is what they said:

Quote:
"Your drive pats number is CW-8122-BPN.
This dive is Master setting.
If you want slave dive,
we recommend you to return your drive once and
purchase CW-8122-BPN2.
CW-8122-BPN Master
CW-8122-BPN1 CSEL-
CW-8122-BPN2 Slave"

Now I looked at the pic of your drive and it appears to say:

CW-8122-B BPN S

like mine do. You also said that you could hook it up as a slave... so I'm confused. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:27:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm confused, too. I wonder if the review sponsor knew there were different models. I no longer have that drive to confirm what I did, but I do recall having problems as slave, and was pretty sure they were resolved! My new drive is a different brand, and it is running as slave right now...

Too be honest, I could just be remembering poorly, and may be thinking of the install of the newer drive!

It is good to know there are different sub-models of this unit, and I am going to point this out to Logic Supply as an FYI...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: