Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Seagate's 30th Anniversary Give Away
Win a 640GB Seagate FreeAgent Go
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
site9099
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 02:05:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thirty years ago, I worked on Storage Module Drives. The capacities back then were 40 MB. 80MB, 150MB and 300 MB. The 150/300 MB drive was approximately 28"-30" high, 18"-20" wide and about 30" deep. The media was removable and consisted of twelve 14" inch platters. For a drive to seek properly, the actuator had to be adjusted. For the drive to read/write properly, twenty heads needed to be aligned. Not quite as portable as today's drives.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

gboytazz
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:25:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hmmm 30 yrs ago ??? i wasnt alive around that time so in my mind i can picture people talking with either the cup with a string.... gaming was done on msDOS and type writter was consider a proper was to write a letter. if anything around that time people were more into michael jackson then technology =]
melissaaggie98
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:41:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This wasn't quite 30 years ago, but about 27 years ago, I remember being in the 4th grade and getting to play a game on our one computer in the school. I inserted the large 5.25" floppy disk (back when disks really were floppy and a mouse was still a furry critter) and had to enter this programming language of some sort just to control a green looking blob that was supposed to be a turtle. This turtle would draw lines on the screen in sort of an "etch a sketch" fashion until you made some really poor attempt at a picture. I remember once that it took me about five to ten lines of programming to get the stupid turtle to just draw a square. Boy, how far things have come!
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 01:26:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

30 years ago, I was 7. I remember seeing my first mainframe on a tour of a naval ship. I can remember walking into a huge room with tons of boxes with flashy lights, spinning tapes, and one lone console in the room with a green monochrome screen. I got to type a few basic commands in, and was immediately hooked. I got the first "home" computer that year, a Commodore Pet. I played around on it so much I was able to teach the teachers in school how to do things and started playing with simple programs.

Ok, so the Pet wasn't really my first computer, that would go to an Altair we picked up at a yard sale, but I could never really get that thing to work right.

A few years later, the military school I was in got a network that had been decomissioned, and I used to play games on the teachers writing scripts to lock up the computer and display childish rhymes, or short stories. I remember getting called to the principles office when a friend and I locked up the network displaying a story on all the systems. Wrote it to run when the system was started, all they had to do was press a few keys and it ended it but they didn't know that....I thought it was funny, they didn't. I wasn't allowed to touch the schools networked computers for the rest of the year...

Oh, I remember Logo so well...had to go find it online to play around LOL

http://www.salem-news.com/diversions/logo.html
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:44:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Last day to enter... Tell or create your 1979 memory soon... Grin
Rotaxx
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 15:59:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I believe that Seagate's first hard drive of 1979 was truely a HARD drive consisting of a polished stone platter and chisel set. I can still remember not being able to hear "Three's Company" on the boob tube over the racket of my brother trying to save his VisiCalc document.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:53:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The winner of the 640GB Seagate FreeAgent Go is forum member:

Rotaxx

The winners of the 5 t-shirts from the forum side of things are:

1. gboytazz
2. =CDU=Above
3. site9099
4. skarydrunkguy
5. melissaaggie98

If you entered on the Facebook wall, please check there for a list of winners. And if you happened to win on both sides of things, letting me know so I could pass out a t-shirt to ten different people would be appreciated!

Everyone who won needs to send me a private message or email (admin at bigbruin dot com) with their name, address, and phone number.

Thanks!

Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 12:50:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congrats to the winners!
skarydrunkguy
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:32:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sweet dingos! Sweet sweet dingos. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Actually, I don't wear t-shirts. They block the view of my awesome chest hair... so, I was in it for all or nothing. I guess I'll take nothing so someone who can actually get some use out of the shirt (someone without an actual working model of rainforest ecosystem dancing twixt thier pecs) can have it.
slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 01:03:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congrats guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Site Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: