Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Eumax 9-in-1 Removable Card Reader
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:09:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Something I mentioned in the review that Flycaster made me think about again is the fact that the USB ports on the Card Reader have a motheboard header connector on them and the card reader itself has to have the pass through and hook up in the back sillyness.

I for one don't llike seeing the pass though cable.

While I had my system tore apart and the room looked like a Fry's blew up, I decided to do the mod I planned when I wrote the review.

I cut the cord coming from the Card Reader section and soldered the 4 wires to the mini hub where the header connetor plugs in.

I don't recommend this to everyone of course, but its easy enough.

The pic below came from the new no pass through card reader, everything works perfect!!! Too bad the picture doesn't show that particular area better!! Oh well, Im not taking it back out!!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Scramblr
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:44:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey Folks,

About 8 months ago I bought the Flash Genie 6-in-1 Card Reader by Eumax. Just found out it was by Eumax...no help on that web site. Anyway, I have XP Home and installed the card reader to include the pass through cable (although I like the soldering idea). USBs were working fine along with the Smart Card reader which is what I was using it for. Then my Smart Cards starting going bad.

I would take the Smart Card out of my camera and insert it into the card reader. I'd extract the photos and then put the card back in the camera. The camera would not recognize the card. After the third new card, I sent the camera in for repair. Camera was fine.

On the fourth smart card I figured out that after I used the smart card in Flash Genie, nothing else could recognize it. Not Explorer, my camera, nor any other card reader. However, Flash Genie has no problem reading the card. All four cards are like this.

I bought a 5th card (I'm up to $125 now,,,slow learner) took pictures and used it with a different card reader, back in the camer and no more problems.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas what's causing it?

Thanks,

Scramblr
Aesop
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:45:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi,

I was just about to order this card reader, since I've had similar problems with my previous reader ( emagic 9 in 1 ). Lost 4 512 Mb CompactFlash cards with that reader that destroyed my cards. Had my camera for service twice without realising it was the reader. Guess I'm a slow learner too...

Thanks for the advice, I'll stay away and order a brand I can trust instead. Maybe SanDisk?
Maniac42
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:07:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

After my misadventure with the Eumax 9-in-1 unit, I ended up buying a SanDisk ImageMate 8in1 USB Card Reader/Writer (Model No. SDDR-88). It doesn't fit into a 3-1/2" floppy drive bay like the Eumax product. Instead, it comes with a small desk stand. The unit itself is compact enough to take along on the road with a laptop computer. It comes with a short 9-inch (23 cm) removable USB cable. So far it has worked flawlessly, and the software installation on Windows 98SE was a snap.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:35:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have been using the reviewed card reader ever since it was reviewed and still have not had any issue with it or any of the tons of cards I have thrown in it!!!

...wierd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: