Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Rumor: Next-gen, OLED iPhone coming on July 17
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 21 May 2009 05:26:47    Post Subject: Rumor: Next-gen, OLED iPhone coming on July 17 Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
A new iPhone is coming. That's probably not much of a revelation, since Apple launched new handsets last summer and the summer before, but we now have some juicy leaked info to sink our teeth into. Or, to be more precise, the folks at the unofficial Apple iPhone Apps blog have gotten juicy leaked info from a purportedly reputable source "closely connected to Apple’s hardware development team."

Said source claims the third-gen iPhone will launch on July 17 at the same $199 and $299 subsidized price points as the current device—except Apple will double capacities to 16GB and 32GB. The new cell phone will supposedly have twice the processing power and twice the RAM of its forebear. Throw a power-sipping OLED display into the mix, though, and battery life should actually be 50% higher.

Physically, the Apple iPhone Apps blog claims the next-gen handset will have a sleeker design with no metal around the edges, a rubberized back, and a glowing Apple logo.

Other notable additions, according to the report: a clearer, higher-resolution camera, the ability to send pictures and videos via MMS (like most other 3G phones have been able to do forever), and a "revolutionary" feature that will combine the camera, GPS, Google Maps, and a built-in compass to identify photo locations.

If three-month-old analyst forecasts are still correct, this third-gen iPhone could launch alongside a cheaper, stripped-down model priced at just $99. Word in February was that this $99 handset would have about the same feature set as the original iPhone. (Thanks to Engadget for the first link.)

SOURCE

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
OCZ Gold PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 2x2048MB @5-5-5-15-2T
Zotac GTX275 @713/1512/1260
2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM LCD
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

gbronzer
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:57:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I find it hard to believe they went OLED without raising the price. Those things are expensive and only used for postage stamp screens on cell phones typically. Although I believe Sony's recent walkman uses one.
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:34:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

gbronzer wrote:
I find it hard to believe they went OLED without raising the price. Those things are expensive and only used for postage stamp screens on cell phones typically. Although I believe Sony's recent walkman uses one.

OLED prices went down, so I don't think it's that expensive. Of course, it's expensive more than the 'regular' capacitive display, but if Apple wants to keep the iPhone attractive, they'd better keep the price the same, if not even lower it further more.

I'm saying that because I have a feeling that except for the OLED display, we're not going to see any major improvements, and the iPhone will remain more or less the same... Rolling Eyes

Hopefully I'm wrong... Wink

2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
street4242
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 21 May 2009 18:18:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wish I was rich so I could afford the data plan for iPhone Sad
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:36:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OLED, double the storage capacity and twice the processing power? All for the same price.

***edit***and apparently twice the ram as well*** Confused

Sounds more like an iPhone bloggers wet dream than an actual device.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:30:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
OLED, double the storage capacity and twice the processing power? All for the same price.

I don't think they'll implement all this stuff so soon... Rolling Eyes

2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:02:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:

Yeah, the more I look at that the more I think it might rather be future improvements all around for the iPhone rather than all at once. Time will tell, but it doesn't seem to jive with the price.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:55:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:14:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In addition to the features mentioned above, It will also double battery life and camera resolution, add a built in FM transmitter, digital compass and MMS. All at the same price and with a fancy apple logo on the back to boot. Confused Confused Confused

Forgive me for being skeptical, just sounds like an awful lot to pack into a phone and still keep the same price point. Unless off course they are going to charge more for MMS and other services to recoup the money.

I don't doubt that many of these items will be included over the next couple revisions, but all at once? Sounds more like Apple FUD before the Palm Pre release. Like the first article suggested.

Unwillingly Unwitty

PostPosted: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:54:09    Post Subject: Re: Rumor: Next-gen, OLED iPhone coming on July 17 Reply with quote View Single Post

[quote="zachig"]
Quote:

Other notable additions, according to the report: a clearer, higher-resolution camera, the ability to send pictures and videos via MMS (like most other 3G phones have been able to do forever),

Ha Ha this is funny. I had NO idea the "all powerful" I phone can not take a picture and send it as an MMS message. Unbelievable that you can download an app that will listen to a song and tell you all the details about it, but you can not send your friends a picture of that first beer on a Friday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: