Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Recommend me a new internal HDD!
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheInfiniteAmmo
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:16:22    Post Subject: Recommend me a new internal HDD! Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm looking to replace my tired old 300GB internal RAID0 drives.

I'm thinking a SATA drive of some sort, because it's like my dad says: "The zero in RAID0 stands for how much data you'll be able to recover should one of the drives fail."

So, SATA. Also, I'm thinking I'll need over 1TB for storage.

What brands are the most reliable?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:41:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

TheInfiniteAmmo
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:42:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Now see, I haven't heard anything about Western Digital.

I have, however, been told to avoid Seagate like the plague. Or swine flu.

(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 01:11:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Western Digital's have always worked well for me. Been running a 750gb SATA WD drive for a few months and its pretty solid. Had a Maxtor die on me though (they merged with Seagate).

Here's the green/eco friendly version of the above linked drive for $20 less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317

The black version performs better and has a longer warranty, but this one is $20 cheaper and runs cooler.
anonemus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 02:11:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The WD Green 2TB is getting awesome reviews. Even if its only 5400rpm, it performs incredibly fast at lower power consumption.

Do excuse this link: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=703&type=expert&pid=10
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 06:42:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

anonemus wrote:
The WD Green 2TB is getting awesome reviews. Even if its only 5400rpm, it performs incredibly fast at lower power consumption.

Do excuse this link: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=703&type=expert&pid=10

Yeah - we've seen that one, too... link Wink

Newegg has the 1TB version for $85 (shipped free) over here. Use coupon code EMCLSMN28 to get the extra $5 off.
x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:56:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a 640gb WD Green hard drive and I have been really happy with it so far (6 months of use).
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:41:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i have 2 WD failed on me. Despite the fact, I still like their drives simply because of super easy rma process. Seagate is okay but their latest firmware issue makes me a bit hard to suggest it. They are still good deals though (despite they ahve shorten the warranty to 3 years and also have no advance rma).

i personally like the WD's black series, good peformance, good value and great rma service.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:59:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SAMSAMHA wrote:
Seagate is okay but their latest firmware issue makes me a bit hard to suggest it. They are still good deals though (despite they ahve shorten the warranty to 3 years and also have no advance rma).

Corrections...

Not the latest firmware. 7200.11 Barracudas had problems, but 7200.12 Barracudas are now everywhere and have no such problems.

If you buy the drives OEM packaged (like from Newegg) they will have a 3-year warranty, but if you buy the retail kit (like from a Best Buy) you will still get a 5-year warranty.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 13 May 2009 15:44:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think if you get one of the more recent WD's or Seagate's you're good to go. I've got a pair of 750GB WD green's that I'm quite happy with, but as someone mentioned earlier, the latest 2GB WD green's seem to be performing a bit better than the others in large file throughput despite their 5400rpm spindle speeds. Probably due to increased platter densities. They're still slower than 7200rpm drives in small file operations.

If the HDD is for the OS, you should still look for a drive with a faster spindle speed. If it's for data, spindle speed isn't as important and the WD green drives are perfect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: