Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
What VM Software to use?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lograin
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 03:47:25    Post Subject: What VM Software to use? Reply with quote View Single Post

Does anyone have a preference on what VM Software to run on a Quad core AMD? I dont think system specs are really necessary as I am sure I can run it. I am just unsure of the best software to use with the least problems.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:44:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Depends on your needs, and what core OS you want to run.

If this is just for your home system, running Windows XP/Vista then using Virtual PC from MS is quick and easy.

However if you're going to run multiple servers, then you need to look at Virtual Server, or VMWare.
SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:22:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yep, list more detail on what you want to do and what apps youa re looking to run as well as the OS.

microsoft's virtual pc seems to be a good choice for running legacy windows.
(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:07:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I use VMware for both personal use and for remote connection to a machine for a class, works pretty well. I recommend that if you have the money for it. Otherwise, Microsoft Virtual PC is a decent free alternative.
m0drix
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:39:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Virtualbox is another free alternative that works well with a lot of Linux distros as well as legacy Windows OSes. It's laid out well and fairly easy to use too.
curly haired boy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:54:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i use VMware player for linux SMP folding...
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:37:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I use Virtual PC for any OS windows related, and then I use VMWARE anything linux or non windows related.

I like vmware a lot because the layout looks nice. Virtual PC is just a little program.
Vmware wins Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

gbronzer
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:53:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've used both Virtual PC and VMWare Workstation. VMWare is simply faster. It also has better support for USB devices under the VM.
3x3cUt0r
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:55:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I use Virtual PC, it's really good if you try to run something in a Windows enviroment.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:55:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've recently installed Sun's Virtual Box on my macbook. Haven't installed Windows 7 RC1 to it yet, but that's the plan. Virtual Box is FREE which means you should at least give it a look before paying. I think MS's Virtual PC is also free, but haven't really played with it much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: