Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Moving the My Documents Folder
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:59:56    Post Subject: Moving the My Documents Folder Reply with quote View Single Post

Is it safe to move the "My Documents Folder to another drive or partition? Is there a special way to move it? I just want to protect my data in case the OS on C:\ gets corrupted or?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 19:07:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah - there are different procedures for different OSes, but it is OK. I have mine on a separate drive.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:20:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Are you copying it so you can have it in case of a drive crash, or are you moving it so it's only on another drive?
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:23:01    Post Subject: Moving the My Documents Folder Reply with quote View Single Post

BeerCheeze wrote:
Are you copying it so you can have it in case of a drive crash, or are you moving it so it's only on another drive?

I want to move the folder and keep the button on my start menu.
(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:50:49    Post Subject: Re: Moving the My Documents Folder Reply with quote View Single Post

Dakota wrote:
BeerCheeze wrote:

I want to move the folder and keep the button on my start menu.

Don't think you can even remove the button from the start menu without messing around with the registry. What will be in there when you go to the My Documents folder will depend on how you move the folder. You can either cut or copy it. Cutting and pasting it will only leave you with one copy of the folder (on the other drive). Copying it will leave you with two copies of the folder, one where it is now and one on the drive where you copied it to. I recommend to copy it for backup purposes
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:01:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

He wants to keep the button...

Cutting and pasting the folder won't completely do it, as the system needs to know where to look in the future.

There are procedures for different OSes... XP is different than Vista.
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:39:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks guys, got it done, and working good.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

motanacu
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 05:47:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

why didn`t you tried to make another folder my docs on different partition and save all the data there from the start??
ati_lover
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:01:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For XP:
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab.
In the Target box, do one of the following:
Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
________
4F27E TRANSMISSION

Last edited by ati_lover on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:39:20; edited 1 time in total
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:13:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sorry everyone, thought that I had posted that I have gotten in done. Thanks for all the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: