Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Why I now hate Vista
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 01:11:46    Post Subject: Why I now hate Vista Reply with quote View Single Post

So.... been slowly upgrading to Vista as new systems come online. I was starting to like it... until... tonight.

I think the HDD that I bought Misty is having issues, so I stopped by Best Buy tonight to pick up another one to test this theory. Well, I'm running Ultimate so I figured I'd do what I always do. Upgrade the primary disk to Dynamic, add the new disk in as a stripped pair and let it Windows build the mirror, and then remove the bad drive and break the mirror. Worked under 2000, and XP.

Well..... Not Vista! You can only do that on UNPARTITIONED drives. Bang Head So now I have a Dynamic disk, that all the "migration tools" (like the one that Seagate gives) won't clone a dynamic disk.

Censored

Luckily using a 3rd HDD and doing a full back up, and recovery seems to have worked. But unfortunately the new install seems to be a dynamic disk. Grrrr... now I gotta figure out how to un'f this.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 01:45:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I didn't even know that was possible, I usually just put the new drive in and do a fresh install. Guess that's why I work on ships for a living and not computers. Grin

I hate vista (and XP) because every time I upgrade my hardware (which is often) I have to call someone in India and ask for permission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:25:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Acronis True Image
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:31:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Is it a Seagate or Maxtor drive? Their (free) Acronis based utility works well for me...
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 13:47:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll echo the sentiments about Acronis...Was going to set up a couple 1.5TB drives into a mirror Raid and abandoned the idea and let Acronis manage the back-up. Easy to do, especially since I already use Acronis on a regular basis...
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:00:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nope... Acronis won't work. I downloaded the trial (guess I won't be buying it).

And it's Seagate. The software seems to work fine for Basic disk, but fails on Dynamic disks.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:24:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've never heard of doing that before, that's pretty awesome. I'll have to remember it on my Xp machine, sorry it doesn't work for Vista.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

zwickarr
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:16:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

exactly why im on xp still
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:38:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

zwickarr wrote:
exactly why im on xp still

Thank you for your insight, and adding a great deal to this conversation. You know... if I didn't know any better I'd think you were just posting junk to try and win a video card.

Wonder how well that will work for you? Wave
bryan_ronin
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:53:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i too didnt know that this is a way to clone disks.

will it work on different models and brands of hdd?

i have been a network admin but i dont use that method i use 3rd party like acronis and even norton ghost.

any way i kinda like the vista now than the earlier releases but i still hate the vulnerabilities of microsoft OS. thats why im trying to go HACKINTOSH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: