Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
upgrading my thermaltake rhythm and system cooling.
tubing size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 00:59:37    Post Subject: upgrading my thermaltake rhythm and system cooling. Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey everyone. I am looking to upgrade since my computer is getting old. I currently use the thermaltake rhythm to cool just my cpu. Im pretty sure that it uses 1/4 tubing. If someone knows for sure please let me know. Anyways I'm going to upgrade to a wolfdale E8500 and start watercooling my video card as well. I pretty set on a 9800 gx2. If the stock tubing is 1/4 then I am going to use a reducer to change it to 3/8 when it reaches the computer coming from the rhythm. Have it run through the cpu and gpu and then reduce it back to 1/4 to have it run through the rhythm unit itself. My first question is will going from a smaller size tubing to a larger one have any adverse effects? I am also going to upgrade the pump from the stock 84L/hr to 500 L/hr Danger Den CPX1 pump. Due to adding the extra component to the loop. Making my second question would this be to much or to little flow. I think to much so I would have to add better clams to keep hoses from going crazy. Thanks for any and all help.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:42:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm honestly not sure about the flow, but are you sure the Rhythm can handle the additional heat output of a GX2? Those suckers run hot.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:50:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... welcome.

I recently uninstalled my Rhythm, so I'll take a look at the hoses tonight. I think they may be metric, but are probably in the 1/4" range.

I don't have solid data on it, but it seems like a really strong setup to me. Not sure if it could handle a GX2 and a CPU well, but it is definitely overkill for just a CPU. The weakest link may be the flow rate, as the radiator, reservoir, hoses, and water block are all really nice.

You wanna buy a used one and run something like a RAID array of Rhythms? Laughing
Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:03:38    Post Subject: tubing size Reply with quote View Single Post

i think it can as long as i increase the flow ratei will be ok. the gx2 is only one block which will minimize the flow resisnce and water will always be better then air. my main question though is there any problems with going from 1/4 to 3/8 halfway through the loop then runninkg through the components and reducing it back to 1/4.
borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:33:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm in no way very knowledgeable about watercooling, but that doesn't sound too kosher to me with waterflow. I think you might get some issues with the water flowing smoothly. Maybe someone with more experience in watercooling can chime in.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:10:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

While it will have an impact from a purely engineering / scientific point of view, I doubt a short run of wider tubing will matter in this situation.

A larger cross sectional area means a lower flow rate with the same volume of water, but I can't see it mattering on such a small scale.

But, while the change in size shouldn't matter, there is the question of handling the extra heat load on the system. With a dual 120mm radiator and a reasonable flow rate it should be fine. I know people have modified Rhythm's to accomodate CPU, GPU, and chipsets, so I think a CPU and a higher end GPU should be fine. But no promises... Laughing
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 28 May 2008 23:55:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

With todays systems tube size has a very small overall effect on temps, what does impact the temps is not the flow rate of the pump, but the head pressure of the pump to push the water effectively through all the restrictions in the loop.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: