Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
What to do with my Time being temporarily laid off.
Gigabyte 3d aurora fan mod.
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barracas
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:23:21    Post Subject: What to do with my Time being temporarily laid off. Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess I'll post my latest chop job on my case.

I have been on unemployment for more than 4 weeks due to lack of work, resulting from the American Axle strike in the US.

So I have had more time than usual to do my web browsing here lately. I recently came across a website which was selling stock cases with modified cooling. One of their mods they were doing was to remove the metal mesh around the fans for better airflow. It looked pretty cool and I thought to my self, " I can do that. "

So Here Goes.....
A little over a year ago I built my PC.I purchased a gigabyte 3d aurora case @ 140.00 us.
It came with 3 dead silent 120mm fans 1 front 2 rear.
But the front 120mm fan was encased in an aluminum box pushed right next to the hard drive cage.

Check the picture Below.

As you can see the front fan is almost rendered useless.
So my plan was to figure out a way to make it work better.
I disassembled my case and removed all hardware.
Blew out all dust with my air compressor.
Removed all removable panels and pulled out a drill with a cupped hole drill bit I bought for another household project and cut out the metal grid in front of the fan.

I then noticed that the box in which the fan was attached to probably would fit in front of the case and still have clearance to hide behind the front panel.
But this box had been riveted to the inner structure of my case.
So I then pulled out a drill bit of the right size to drill out and remove the rivets to this box.
I then had to bend part of this box flat to allow it to slide out of the inside of this case to free it from the hard drive cage that was obstructing its path "Pain in the a$$".

So once removed and pounded back into position with a small hammer I proceeded to mock up its new location to the front of my case.
Here is were i found my initial estimate of clearance wasn't exactly accurate.
I couldn't simply mirror it's exact location with the front panel audio, usb, and firewire ports circuit board in the same area.
But I did figure out that if I turned the box 90 degrees it would fit. So i held it in position, marked my new placement holes with a sharpie, and drilled small holes to thread small machine screws with.
I then attached the box, reassembled the case, and reworked my cable management.
Here's the finished project, minus some cleaner edges on my cut out to be done later.

See picture's below
Side View:

Front View:

Side View with front on:

Front assembled View:

Results = 6 degree temp drop..
I'm no Thrasher2 but I thought I'd share anyhow.

Gigabyte 3dAurora
AMD-939- X2 4400 @2.5gig 10x250fsb
DFI LanParty UltraD
Corsair HX620 PSU
OCZ400-2048 eldcpe-k 2x1g DDR @ 454mhz 2.5-3-2-5 9/10 divuder
3x Seagate 320 SATA 1 external Seagate 320 and external maxtor 160
EVGA 7600GT KO
Ultra ChillTEC CPU cooler
WinXP PRO
Acer 22in AL2223w
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Barracas
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:49:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Finished cut. Pulled out the dremel.

Gigabyte 3dAurora
DFI LanParty UltraD
Corsair HX620 PSU
EVGA 7600GT KO
WinXP PRO
Acer 22in AL2223w
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:41:10    Post Subject: Re: What to do with my Time being temporarily laid off. Reply with quote View Single Post

Barracas wrote:

We all can't be THRASHER2s, but we still have something to offer! So don't do like I used to do and not post anything because it didn't match the masters' quality. Smile

Yours is a good start that brought good results, so now what is your next project?? Grin
Barracas
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:13:43    Post Subject: Re: What to do with my Time being temporarily laid off. Reply with quote View Single Post

jedihobbit wrote:
Barracas wrote:

We all can't be THRASHER2s, but we still have something to offer! So don't do like I used to do and not post anything because it didn't match the masters' quality. Smile

Yours is a good start that brought good results, so now what is your next project?? Grin

Not sure..
I still would like to find a few silent, yet powerful blue led 120 fans that would push the air through my case better. There is a noticeable difference between having the case closed and open. I believe due to the hard drive cages design it is restricting airflow across the mobo.
Any suggestions and where to buy? I'd hate to wait for shipping and all, only to have 3 duds arrive.

I have a kids PC in the works as well. Your idea of small form factor PC's would work great for them. I would use cheaper hardware of course.

Gigabyte 3dAurora
DFI LanParty UltraD
Corsair HX620 PSU
EVGA 7600GT KO
WinXP PRO
Acer 22in AL2223w

Last edited by Barracas on Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:55:31; edited 2 times in total
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:09:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Try these Yate Loons, I've always been extremely happy with them in the past, I haven't used their LED fans, but the standard ones are great.

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Clear-Case-Fan-with-four-blue-leds-D12SL-12-pr-3625.html

jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:17:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I use these guys a lot, while they may not be the cheapest the fact you get the wiring sleeved in the cost and their service has been fantastic for me!

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69

Depending on how GPU dependent you "kids computer" needs to be the new generation of mATX boards are coming out with some really good on board video. That in itself can save a few rubbles over a stand-a-lone GPU. Then upgrade later (give 'em your old card and get yourself a new one!!)

Edit..... have had good luck with jab-tech also as a source!
Barracas
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:42:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Last opened photo..

Gigabyte 3dAurora
DFI LanParty UltraD
Corsair HX620 PSU
EVGA 7600GT KO
WinXP PRO
Acer 22in AL2223w
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:04:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thumbs Up Looking good!
Challenger
Rated R

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:16:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
What to do with my Time being temporarily laid off.

Do what I did... Lower your standards for beer, but increase your intake!

Yikes
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:19:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

jedihobbit wrote:
Thumbs Up Looking good!

I'll have to second that opinion................Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: