Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
XP SP3 RC2 - Anyone give this a try yet?
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 03:44:23    Post Subject: XP SP3 RC2 - Anyone give this a try yet? Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's XP SP3 RC2
Not the final version of SP3, but it's probably pretty close.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=114f3599-12af-42b2-aab1-b969a62c68a7&DisplayLang=en#AdditionalInfo

This script will supposedly modify the registry and allow you to receive SP3 via windows updates. You do need to remove any previous SP3 beta's and it's supposed to be run from a system that already has SP2 installed.

Just wondering, I installed it on my kids computer yesterday and haven't heard him whining yet so it must be working OK for him. Not sure if it's better, but it's still running.

Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:34:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was going to on one system, but don't you have to uninstall it in order to install the official release when available?
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:24:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm using it right now, I've noticed no problems. Everything seems to be working just as fine as it always has.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:24:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you read the install notes/ and the beta forums at MS technet.
the beta is limited time, installs over previous version are not recoomend/or fully supported as yet, AND the current uninstaller does not work well/consistantly. before installing acomplete backup/ image of your current system state is highly recommended or running it on a test machine only.
yes it's closer than the earlier builds, but it's still BETA, total data loss is possible.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:53:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt wrote:
If you read the install notes/ and the beta forums at MS technet.
the beta is limited time, installs over previous version are not recoomend/or fully supported as yet, AND the current uninstaller does not work well/consistantly. before installing acomplete backup/ image of your current system state is highly recommended or running it on a test machine only.
yes it's closer than the earlier builds, but it's still BETA, total data loss is possible.

thanks for the warning, would've sucked to lose my data had i tried it.

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:19:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess there are no guarantee's with beta software. SP3 shows up in the add/remove programs list on the computer I installed it on so I'm hoping it will work if and when the time comes to uninstall it.
Microsoft Technet does have some people that have had problems with SP3 RC2, but since it's only been out for less than a week, most of the issues are still with SP3 RC1

Seems to be working fine on my end. As I said though, I'm not sure what the benefits are supposed to be, but to date there have been no issues. This is on a computer that my son uses so it's not like the stock market will crash if it has issues. Wink

Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:07:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It stopped 'Vista Transformation Pack' from working. So now my system visually looks half XP and half Vista. LOL
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 05:44:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

At this point you should just wait for SP3 final.
Remember RC's (release candidates) generally expire after 180 days. At that point you will probably need to remove and install the final version (to eliminate any abandoned/troubled code).
I think it will go RTM this week and be available for download shortly after.
Still best to backup and create a restore point BEFORE installing. (just cause it's released, doesn't mean it will work perfectly everytime)
Since it's 99% a compilation of updates with only a few functional changes, theres is no great hurry, though having a disk/slipstreamed copy will make reinstalls faster and easier.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:10:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Looks like RTM was yesterday (21st) and web update should be on the 29th.
Challenger
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:14:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt wrote:
Looks like RTM was yesterday (21st) and web update should be on the 29th.

So does that mean it will be official? Like I'll have the little yellow shield telling me it is upgrade time? Been waiting for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: