Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
LCD TVs
What LCD TV do you have? And do you like it?
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:13:22    Post Subject: LCD TVs Reply with quote View Single Post

So we're considering a LCD TV to replace our older 27" CRT we have in our bedroom. Looking to put it on the wall.

Costco has a Magnavox 26" with built-in DVD for $499.99. Anyone owned a Mag LCD?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:24:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nope - but my last tube TV was a Magnavox. Worked great for years.

My only comment is that I am not a big fan of the combo units. DVD players are so cheap they can be replaced without concern... unless it is permanently attached to the TV.

I bought a 27" LCD TV last black Friday... Weird thing, it was actually on sale cheaper 2 weeks later and I got like $120 back! Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:38:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, not sure on the DVD part. I figure it's a "throw away" part of the TV. Nice part is it's bulit-in though so I don't need an external one. Nice for wall mounting.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:00:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Magnavox = phillips-magnavox
The tv's seem to have average to slightly higher than average problems (to be expected in the low end product), BUT phillips magnavox has a terrible rep for customer service (no personal experince, I've been browsing alot of AV/HDTV forums recently) horror stories are people being deliberately hung up on after hours working up the tech support phone tree, unable to get through, returned items not being credited, being told "tough luck, they all do that" etc.
I've seen enough similar stories from different sources that I'd very wary of phillips magnavox products.
The up side is LCD's overall have a less then 2%return/defect rate and unlike other displays defects are usually right out of the box, certainly noticed within 30 days and costco will give you cash back for 90 days (most products)
price seems alittle high (they have a 32" for the same $) the DVD is probably worthless, but as long as it doesn't swallow/jam up with a rented disk inside, you still have plenty of inputs to use if it dies.
The QAM tuner can be a big plus (depends on your provider) local and many national HD channels are sent in Clear QAM so no cable box needed except for pay channels (depends on your cable provider/ varies area to area)
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:08:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well lord help me I just got back from Best Buy... We went hoping to get the $199.99 PC's for the kids, but we got shut out on those (people lined up from what I hear at 3pm yesterday for it... mind you it was some place around 20 degree's when I got there at 2:30am).

We did pick up a 32" Dynex LCD, so we'll see how it goes. The guy in the pickup area said they are good for the money, and that either Samsung or LG makes the screens. Guess if we like it and keep it I'll go pay the $60 for the 4-yr guarantee.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:12:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, drove by one of the Des Moines Best Buys last night around 7:00 PM, and there was probably 75-100 people in line already. Camping out in tents and big heavy sleepingbags, blankets etc.

It has been snowing here a bit, so it was really cold yesterday hehehe

I"ve thought about getting one of those EC, let me know how it works out.

Usually I avoid the extended warrantys, but on a LCD like that, if the cost was reasonable, I"d probably get it. Too easy for things to go sour on LCD/Plasmas.

I almost got the 42" Plasma that Sears had on Mon/Tuesday, but by time I made up my mind, they were sold out LOL
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:29:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well we got it set up, and we also picked up a LG Home Theater system at Sears (site is down so I linked to the BB one) for $250.

The system is really nice so far, great picture and very nice color. The only issue so far is the wall mounting bracket I bought isn't the right size and apparently I need to spend $12 more to get the right size bracket. Ugh. O'well.

Once that is all done I'm going to build a shelf around the TV to hold all the components so it's all 100% wall mounted. Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:32:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have been trying to talk my Parent's into one of those all in one systems. They have rack components spanning 3 decades, and the speakers are the oldest component... probably 1986 or so.

The receiver is decent, but so old you have to switch to "VCR" to use the DVD, "Cassette" to use the iPod, and "VDP" to use the cable box. Laughing - Gets confusing for me... worse for them.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:29:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Yea, depending on what they want to spend you can get some really nice stuff.

Ours is far from top of the line, but for $700 we have a 32" LCD HDTV, 5 CD/DVD Disk changer with surround sound. Not to bad if I say so myself. OOO And Merry X-mas to us Grin
misty
Mmmmm... Beer

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:32:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes, but that is just the bedroom....

Now onto the living room! Yikes

Stewie: I was under the impression the name of the show was "Kids Say the Darndest Things," not "Old Black Comedians Never Shut the Hell Up."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: