Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ghetto sound system!
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:34:17    Post Subject: Ghetto sound system! Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah baby! Laughing

I just finished tweaking the ghetto sound system I setup on my main computer today. I'm using the onboard Realtek ALC-650 Soundstorm, two 2.1 speaker sets, and a rigged regular speaker set.

I'll get the first two out of the way and then move to the finishing touch. Razz I took a relatively new Altec Lansing set I paid next to nothing for at newegg and hooked it up to the normal speaker jack on the mobo. It serves as the front stereo speakers, and also has a subwoofer, but I turned it almost off (you'll see why).

Next is the older Altec Lansing 2.1 set. This is where it gets odd. I have it plugged into the mic jack on the mobo and the mobo thinks it's center channel/sub.

Then the topper is the regular speakers I rigged to work as the rear speakers. I took this cheesy powered speaker set my dad got somewhere and took it apart. I figured it might power the speakers if I hooked them up to it. Anyway, it plugs into 110v and has a transformer that normally would power the two dinky speakers, but I soldered speaker wire on to the wires and hooked up the real speakers. It worked!

That let me plug these normal speakers into the mini jack on the mobo, gave me the juice to power them, and gave me a power switch and volume knob. There's also a mini jack on it, dare I hook up ANOTHER set? Laughing

So, put all this together and you get the world's best free 6.2 setup that sounds great (for free).

Now for the pix. The two speakers on the monitor are connected to that box on the floor to the left which acts as the main sub, while the speakers are the center channel. These are plugged into the mic jack.

Then the two speakers on the desk by the monitor are the front channel speakers, and are connected to the sub under the desk (below the monitor, in front of the chair). These are plugged into the speaker jack.

The big speakers are the rear speakers and are plugged into the line in.

After setting that up, I opened the Soundstorm control panel and ran through the speaker wizard and selected "My rear speakers are connected to line in" and "My center channel/sub is connected to the mic", then selected six speakers, analog, no dolby surround.

After tweaking the eq, volume levels for each set, and subs, then adjusting the rear phase, it sounds awesome!

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:42:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

wow if that sounds awsome think of how much better a non-ghetto sound system would be! get rid of the old 2.1's! invest in your ears... c'mon.... they'll appreciate it
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:51:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, I know. I'm saving my cash though, and I'm leaving everything you see in those pix with my parents. No point in putting any more cash into it.

The old 2.1s don't really matter as they are the center channel, and the front 2.1s are decent, but what makes it good are the Infinities in the back. They're pretty much the main speakers and make up for the others.

I just thought it was cool because I pieced it together...

JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:24:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ya, does it actually operate like a surround sound (directional sound) or does everything play out of all the channels at the same volume and then you later tweaked it with equallizers etc.?
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:20:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No, it's real surround. Front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right, sub.

I'm going to run a DVD rip from my other comp on it tomorrow to test it out. The Soundstorm control panel lets you test the channels, but i want an actual movie to test it with.

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:45:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3 is the skeleton of the case used has a speaker stand an intentional ploy to up the ghetto factor? I think I'll stick with my Z-640's
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:56:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's an intentional ploy to get it almost at the same level as the other. I stopped, looked around the room, saw that case, and grabbed it. Laughing
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:29:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing - did you re-title yourself for the occasion, or is that the work of an Evil Admin? Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:01:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LOL You might be a redneck...

And I didn't change his title. Crazy
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:14:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I did it. I was talking to ThePMG and said something about I could do anything with needle nose pliers, a four-in-one screwdriver, and a soldering iron. I said people could just call me "McDudever". He came up with the much better "McGhetto" though. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: