Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
raid cards, vista, dx10
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:23:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No DX10 only games at the moment and my bet is that with the slow adoption rate of Vista, MS will either release DX10 for XP or release HALO3 on the PC as a DX10 only game and hope it helps boost Vista sales Grin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:58:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
MS will either release DX10 for XP or release HALO3 on the PC as a DX10 only game and hope it helps boost Vista sales Grin

That wouldn't surprise me...I would look for an announcement of that kind either around CES timeframe or E3 next year.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:45:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To compare Vista to ME is actually a fair comparison. But might actually be unfair to ME. ME was at least a steeping stone in a forward direction. Vista sadly is nothing but a missed boat. It had GREAT potential and when they had issues in trying to get those potentials into the final product they pulled them and shipped a 1/2 finished "upgraded" that as far as I can tell only have 1 thing going for it... DirectX10.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:24:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

From an enterprise standpoint there are more advantages to Vista than just DX10 (which isn't used much in an enterprise environment). The ability to raise a users rights level by a single application helps when they only need elevated (admin) rights to run one piece of software like SAS or Business Objects Designer. Some of the other things like locking out all devices except an approved device by model/manufacturer is also helpful. There are others, but those are the two that pop out at me Smile

Oh, and nothing to say about BitLocker yet...we've still not decided whether it's worthy enough to replace our other FDE utility.

For home users though, you're right, not much other than DX10.

Well, other than what I said about raising rights for a specific application, ie: raise the rights only for anti-virus and spyware then my sons computer stays up to date, but he can't install anything. Under XP, on a limited account, AVG and Spybot wouldn't update until I logged in with my admin account.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:39:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You can still do that with XP, it's just harder. From an enterprise... We are ACTIVELY avoiding Vista, to the point IT is looking into using Sun Ray's.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:03:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, we've scaled back our plans to move towards Vista but we are not totally stopping the process. Pretty much moving slowly on it, in the event that "Seven" isn't any better, or missing the deadling of 2011/2012 when XP support is slated to totally end.

Originally we were planning on Jan 2008 of doing mass roll-outs, but too many issues with Vista for an enterprise level roll-out.

I've been using Vista at work though for about 6 months and it's running smoothly even with PointSec (Full Disk Encryption utility) installed. Just takes A LONG time to do updates (like 30 min a week), which can't be done in the background due to the encryption LOL

We just can't totally abandon the idea of Vista or "Seven" as we have too much dependant on Windows systems, especially the state governments, forgein governments and other banking systems that we can not avoid.

If we were a small company that didn't have the kind of reporting and other interdependencies I would be trying to get off Windows OS as well. About the only thing we can do is go towards a Thin Client environment, which we are actively working on. But even that will use Embedded XP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: