Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
New CAD Workstation Build
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:21:42    Post Subject: New CAD Workstation Build Reply with quote View Single Post

Building a PC for work...Design Dept are using Solidworks and Pro-E for CAD and are currently using Dell Dimensions. Rolling Eyes
One is a 4600 with Intel 3.0ghz and an AGP Quardro, and the other is an E521 with AMD 3600+ and Geforce 7300LE.
Gonna see how much better this new computer will do vs Dell.

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Video Card
Hard Drive
DVD Drive
Power Supply
Case
Total is around $1,000

Any comments/suggestions?

Last edited by Modulok on Fri, 25 May 2007 14:03:53; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:32:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What kinda of CAD work? Basic 2d drafting doesn't really require much of anything.

Even this company's P3 w/8mb PCI video on some of their older systems handle being able to zoom out to see an entire phone exchange 15miles by 18 miles in area - then able to zoom in to the point the size of 1".

The biggest "slowdown" to PC's in the CAD world is loading files or data bases from servers. Our .dgn files are loaded from a server 200 miles away in Ohio.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:09:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Both programs do 3D and sometimes zooming in and out is choppy when there are a few components/features in the design.

Jan 06 we bought a dell precision 380 for our heaviest Solidworks user with a whopping Quadro FX3450. We were told that this video card would solve the lag between moving the design around and it really didn't. Adding 4GB of ram (ECC) didn't help either. I believe the CPU was slowing it down, Intel 3.0 DC. Compared to the Dell E521, I think the CPU is quicker than the Precision.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:19:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nothing wrong with Dells for CAD. Where I worked we had some for 2D and 3D... Sure they were dual processor, 2GB+, with high end graphics... but still Dells.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:38:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Nothing wrong with Dells for CAD. Where I worked we had some for 2D and 3D... Sure they were dual processor, 2GB+, with high end graphics... but still Dells.

Well I price out something close to what I posted above, and its $500 more. DDR667 and no Raptor either...but it does include a XP license.

Besides, building is more fun then open Dell box, connect computer to network, copy drivers, and insert unattended XP install CD. Crazy
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:41:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Maybe for the home... but for a business I want someone to blame and make it their responsibility to repair/replace problems down the road.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:34:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok ok, enough of this off topic stuff Grin

what do you think of the hardware?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:50:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doesn't sound like you're building anything better than what you have that apparently isn't good enough.

The PSU seems more about LAN partying than high powered performance.

Why an SLI motherboard?

Are files saved locally? They shouldn't be. So a lil' Raptor seems like a waste of money.

Beige DVD with black case?

Grin
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:06:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Doesn't sound like you're building anything better than what you have that apparently isn't good enough.

HUH? You really think those Dimensions are par with a new system?

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
The PSU seems more about LAN partying than high powered performance.

I just chose that PSU because it was SLI certified and wasn't too much money. What would you choose for "high powered performance"?

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Why an SLI motherboard?

So in the future if we need we have the option of tossing another card instead of rebuilding a new system.[/quote]

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Are files saved locally? They shouldn't be. So a lil' Raptor seems like a waste of money.

Not the data files, but the OS and Solidworks program are local so that should allow faster loading of the application.

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Beige DVD with black case?

Top two bays are hidden - I thought you read our reviews! Click for image
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:11:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, even if black is a few bucks more than beige (probably isn't), you might as well make it look professional.

If you do go SLI eventually, it means your choice of video card gets scrapped for two new ones anyway.

Not sure on the PSU. I just don't associate LED bling with business. Might look for stronger 12V rails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: