Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Processor, or gpu?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:59:14    Post Subject: Processor, or gpu? Reply with quote View Single Post

My choices now are basically, the 7950GT, 512mb, with an Opti 175, or going all out on graphics with an 8800GTS and keeping my processor for a while longer. The processors are pretty cheap now so it shouldn't be too long before I can get one anyway. But, for now, is the 8800 going to completely bottleneck with my current processor, or will it totally rock and I should by it right now, over the 7950GT/Opti 175?
thanks

G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:28:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would see if you can find a 7900GTO. The 7900GTO is an underclocked 7900GTX, which is SLIGHTLY better than the 7950GT.

If you can get the GTO, get the Op 195. Then in a few months when cheaper/better 8000 series cards come out, and you actually have a use for DX10 cards, then get one.

Talked to nVidia, and they have some new 8000 series GPU's coming out soon. My rep there is a corporate rep, and does not follow the consumer line up so he did not have full details. But I expect we'll see some at CES...

Edit:
Checked Newegg, and did not find the 7900GTO for sale there any more. They were a limited production. So the 7950GT would be a good option Smile
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:56:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd definitely hold off on the 8800gts. They are fast, but a new processor and the 7950gt should set you up for awhile. As Hellfire says, DX10 cards are still pretty new and will be much cheaper in a couple months.

To be completely honest, I'd give some serious thought to just getting the processor now and waiting until ATI releases their DX10 cards (should happen within the next month or 2). This should bring prices down a bit on the 8800gts as well. Also, make sure your psu is up to the task of powering an 8800gts. I would bet it will work fine, but you never know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: