Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
So... at work...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:43:42    Post Subject: So... at work... Reply with quote View Single Post

They upgraded our P3 733Mhz, 128MB, 10GB HDD computer from NT to XP Pro... and did NO hardware upgrades.

I had to reboot at least once, normally twice or more a day when the computer locks up. It's slow as hell, and just generally pisses me off.

I had an extra 128MB of PC100 at home that had no place to go. So today I said screw it, and brought it into work and put it in this POS.... HOLLY SH*T!!! Did it make a WORLD of difference!! Instead of running everything from the swap file and having a 400MB swap file when I had all my app's open, and some things like Visio drawings would take like 2 min's to open. Not any more!!Sweet!

Of course however... MS Visio says that it detected a "significant chance in the computer" and it now has to be reactiviated... WTF??? Just by adding 128MB of RAM????
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:44:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As far as M$ guidelines go, it shouldn't be just the RAM.

A letter to a soldier
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:06:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Damn I would not even want to think about XP on 128 megs truth be known on 256 is kind of scary Bang Head Yikes
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:14:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

128 is ok if you go through and turn off every service that not needed, turn off XP visuals, remove any background image from your desktop, and dedicate a ton of HDD space for swap file.

I just built a machine for my wife's former boss. I tested XP Pro on it for crapz and gigglez with 128mb and I was surprised how well it ran once all the crap was turned off.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:38:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
128 is ok if you go through and turn off every service that not needed, turn off XP visuals, remove any background image from your desktop, and dedicate a ton of HDD space for swap file.

I just built a machine for my wife's former boss. I tested XP Pro on it for crapz and gigglez with 128mb and I was surprised how well it ran once all the crap was turned off.

That's another part of the problem.. we don't have any admin access to these computer... And the HDD is slow... Basically it's a POS and shouldn't be running XP.

I can bring up XP and any SINGLE app with little problems... but by the time I load all the app's I need to do my job... I'm sitting there with and everything is swapping in and out of the swap file. It would take approx. 10 - 15 seconds to do a screen refresh. And over 2 min's to bring up a Visio drawing.

I would love to find some more memory around that I don't need and upgrade this even further... RAM = Good!! Laughing

And what's stupid.. from a business point of view... If I am waisting only 5% of my time waiting on this stupid thing to do something, then that means it's costing my company in just my time over $300 a month. Based on the price of RAM they could throw a 512MB in here and have an ROI (Return on Investment) in less than 2 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: