Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
AC Ryan RyanPower2 550W PSU
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:38:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

THat gunk is a goo that prevents corrosion. It came like that Rolling Eyes
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:51:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spire wrote:
THat gunk is a goo that prevents corrosion. It came like that Rolling Eyes

sure. sure. Laughing Laughing

johan.67
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:49:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Very nice picture Spire, thanks a lot!
Access to these fan connectors seems pretty easy, so swapping fans should be a piece of cake.

By the way, does anyone else see the similarities between the inside of these psu's , or am I just imagining things ?
On the left : the Ryanpower2 550W, on the right : the Antec TrueControl 550W.

Last edited by johan.67 on Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:56:38; edited 1 time in total
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:55:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They dont look really similar i think it might just be a standard among psu makers that works out well. there are some slight similarities but there are some things that are different between the two.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:01:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I looked, and kind find info on who might make AC Ryan... But this thread at Anandtech has some good info (that I can't verify fully).

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=37&threadid=1487472&enterthread=y

Check page two, way down, for a compiled list with links.
Geist
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:25:48    Post Subject: ah well.... Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi all,
I´m new here and I found out about your Ryanpower2 review which is the second one someone ever made about an A.C. Ryan psu. I had a hard time looking for other reviews and I only found a finnish one... Rolling Eyes <-> Communication was...well complicated. Smile

I was really excited about reading your review then. I found it to be well written, informative and it was for sure another positive step for my decision to by a Ryanpower2 550 W (which I ordered today...).

What usually kinda bugs me is the test system setup. In your case the "kitchen sink system!", too. This system simply doesn´t drain enough power! I mean, come on, a 2.4A with a Radeon card (btw. which one?! 9700/9800 usually don´t tend to make any trouble, even when using a 400 W psu made by xyz-banana-company.). Ok, you tried to bring in the "how-many-drives-can-be-attached"-thing (even under heavy drive operations load) and I´m sure this is a good way getting a clue about rail stability. But overall I´d more preferred a setup with a highend pressie, overlocked about some hundred mhzs with a 6800 GT/Ultra AND 4 drives. That would have been a near-proof for stability.

I used to power my system (6x 7200 Sata hdds, 3.4 pressie@3.8 and 6800 gt) with one of these crappy BeQuiet 450 W psus, which - btw. - were all rated "superb/nice/recommendation" and the like. I couldn´t even play ol´ quake 3 with that setup, cause the cpu and gfx were the critical power draining components. And that is what should be tested when reviewing a psu in my opinion. Is it prime stable, how does it perform with some highend overclocked cpu under heavy load, 3dmark, etc? Just throwing in some LED´s, fans, lights and the like doesn´t proof anything imho.

The finnish hardware site made the review with an old Athlon XP test system by the way. By finding out about that, I then only was interested in looking at the pics of the internal view he made. Simply because I knew his measurements weren´t worth the look. Your "kitchen sink system" is better in the means of power drain, but surely understated when it comes to 500+ W psus imho.

Greets
Geist
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:30:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Welcome to BigBruin.com Geist, thanks a bunch for your compliments.

I can understand the 6800GT pulling lots more power than an older card. However, I am still confused by the "faster is more power" issue people keep bringing up when talking about CPU's"

When you up the voltage to acheive a faster overclock, how does that affect the actual power that a CPU draws?

The amount of heat they give off goes up, but that is not going to tax a much smaller PSU.

The Kitchen sink system taxed the 5v and the 12v rails. The 3.3v volt rail is extremely hard to tax. What do you do, the processor and memory are on these rails. I really have a hard time believing that the (regulated on board) 3.3volt rail will be greatly affected by overclocking or running a faster speed processor.

Besides, we test with the equipment we have on hand.

My choices were either the P4 or my 35 watt mobile XP. I'm sure you agree that the P4 draws more power!!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Geist
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:17:59    Post Subject: hmpf.... Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Spike and Thx for the welcome. Smile

Well some thoughts to mention on the 3.3 V rail: my 3.3 V rail was extremely jumpy not to say crappy (sometimes at 2.65 Volts!!!) back then when I had my 450 W BeQuiet running my rig (spec see post above). The 12 V rail was near dead, too, and that was because of the pressie drained too much, while beeing clocked at 3.8 ghz. With default specs I had no probs at all.

"When you up the voltage to acheive a faster overclock, how does that affect the actual power that a CPU draws?" <-> You won´t want to tell me an overclocked cpu doesn´t consume a greater amount of watt, do you? Every component you overclock gets more volts, runs faster in terms of herz, gets hotter (well most...Grin) and consume more power, of course. It´s that simple. An overclocked cpu stresses a 12 V rail more than when it´s run on default specs. So that was my point... That´s maybe why ppl tend to say "faster=more need of power"; the point is actually that you want a stronger 12 V rail with plenty amperes. The Ryanpower2 i.e. calims to be able to hold a 30 amps peak. And THAT´s what I wanted to point out. You just can´t "peak" this psu with a 2.4A cpu. And this is pretty much like "overclockers 101"....

I mean....oh my, maybe this is just some of these "scatter my current believes in how things work"-day, but if so, then please explain me why I´m wrong! Smile

Geist
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:38:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Does a processor actually get 12 volts?

I was under the assumption that the processor only ties into the 5V and 3.3V rails.

I completely agree with you on the QUALITY of power being important. This goes hand in hand with MORE power too because as you start to draw more and more a crappy low powered PSU will start to clip and go out of regulation and this causes the quality to drop and this will cause instabilities.

Ramblings only...
jmke
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:21:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Athlon XP relies on 5v
P4 & A64 on 12v
Wave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Power All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: