Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Rosewill RX-358-S-SLV eSATA and USB Hard Drive Enclosure
Rosewill RX-358-S-SLV Drive Enclosure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:15:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As the first Rosewill product to be reviewed at Bigbruin.com, the RX-358-S-SLV eSATA and USB hard drive enclosure made a good first impression despite some imperfections. The eSATA performance is excellent, allowing a SATA 3Gbps drive to operate just as well as when connected directly to a SATA header on the test system's motherboard. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:29:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This is the best enclosure from an aspect not mentioned:
swapping backup bare 3.5 inch drives.
I have set my bare backup drives on my desktop,
attached to a USB-SATA adapter and my computer's USB port.
I run nightly backups and try to weekly carry one of these 3.5 inch drives to work for offsite storage.
Originally, in previous years, I have purchased several enclosures,
but they are all too big to conveniently carry to work (though I still carry a couple) for offsite storage.

I added a protective plate to the bare drive from Weibtech,
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/misc.php
After a week, I found that a bare drive will overheat,
since a couple drives failed, although they resumed working after cooling down.

I found putting bare drives in USB-SATA cases and taking them out for offsite storage cumbersome -- so combersome that I set my bare drive into a metal mesh 3" x 8" CD container and add a USB fan blowing on it. This works, but is still slightly awkward. And I prefer a fan blowing whenever the disk drive runs, which my current fabrication does not guarantee.

The Rosewill RX-358-S will do what I want -- allow me to easily insert and remove bare drives.
I am, of course, willing to alter the Rosewill enclosure further (far better than my current fabrication)
-- turn it upside down so I can more easily insert bare drives, add rubber feet to raise the enclosure and its fan off my desk, and maybe even leave the cover off for easier access. I might even put in a better fan (though putting in a standard thickness 80mm fan sounds difficult).

I wish manufacturers would address, and get correct far more
early, what seem obvious needs by millions of computer users.

So, this is the best product for a very needed application that everyone should be using --
BACKUPS ONTO BARE DRIVES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: