Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Folding@Home 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:41:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote

thegrub wrote:
acruxksa wrote:
It looks like VMWare is able to run -bigadv units. Seems like people have been making windows work with VMWare and linux on their overclocked Core i7 cpu's.

The first one at EVGA is the one I started folding with to see if I can do the bigadv without investing in new hardware. His second image will not run for me but the first one does work. The SMP in windows only does the 1920s at ~1500 but the VMLinux does about 4Kppd on the 920i at ~2.75GHZ. Although I can run the cpu easily at 4.8GHZ with just the GPUs, when I tried the windows SMP the temperatures on the cpu quickly approached 100C and I shut it down. The cpu only has the stock cooler on it and it runs the fan at full speed unless I have nothing running. I am waiting for that new case to arrive so I can switch over to it since I have to take the motherboard out to install the backing plate. With the three GPUs with 2 clients each and the VMLinux the CPU is at 70c and the cores are 82c-85c. I have the smp set for -4 because when I tried -7 the GPUs dropped 10% and the smp went down to 2200. The thing is I also enabled the Intel VT-d at the same time as the -7 so I will have to just change one and then check for effects. (Currently no VT-d and using -4) I will finish up the 10th 1920 in the morning of Monday and then try the -7 with no other changes.

How's this working for you thegrub? If it does allow -bigadv work units on a windows machine, that's a big deal. Any info you have on the setup and your experience with it could be beneficial to others around here running windows and core i7's. Could boost our numbers significantly.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved