Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Poor mans Sonos system - it's all relative. :D 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:51:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
Wow... But is this still a "poor mans" project?

Not in my case, but it easily still could be. There are T-Amps out there that can be had for less than $100 and the DAC isn't really required unless you want to take advantage of the airport express' optical out port. All you would really need to get up and running is an airport express, powered speakers, a computer with iTunes and a wireless network. The control software for my cellphone is available for a reasonable cost and works with many symbian phones so if you've got one of those your golden. If you've already got an iPhone you're golden as well.

The klipsch RB-61's shouldn't really be factored in because you would still need speakers with the sonos system.

Cost breakdown:

3 - airport express' $99/ea = $297
1 - Pop Pulse T-Amp = $135
1 - Zero 2024 DAC = $125
1 - Super Pro DAC = $110
3 - Toslink to mini optical cables $2.50/ea. = $7.50
1pr. Klipsch RB-61 speakers = $450
1 - Bose 2.1 amplified speaker system = $170
1 - Salling Clicker software = $24

total invested = $1318.50, but I'm pretty sure you could get started with a couple sets of powered 2.1 speakers and 3 airport express' ($500 - $600 depending on which speakers you went with) assuming one of the 3 connects to your home stereo.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved