Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: New System Build.... 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:56:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote

m0drix wrote:
acruxksa wrote:
The thing is, the drives your planning on using are relatively old compared to the larger newer drives. What you get with the larger newer drives is perpendicular recordin, NCQ ( native Command queuing ), higher platter densities and larger cache. All of which adds up to faster drives. They may not be as fast as the two 160GB drives in Raid 0, but they won't be far behind.

If your going to go Nvidia, the GTX 260 (216) is kind of the sweet spot and a pair of them would do just fine.

Isn't a 295 just two GTX 260s in a single card? I'd say get the 295 so you'll be set for a while and so you'll have an extra PCI-E slot for future upgrades.

Sort of, it's got the shaders of a gtx 280 and the memory of a gtx 260. The GTX 260 (216) has 24 more shaders than the standard GTX 260 and 24 less shaders than a gtx 280, it's a great bang for the buck gpu. Getting two of the GTX 260 (216)'s would save you a hundred bucks and you wouldn't see much loss in performance. Figured you were looking so save a couple buck. yes you could go for the gtx295, but the reality is that second dual gpu card is going to be a VERY expensive upgrade for VERY little gain in performance. It's fun to play with quad gpu, but the diminishing returns make it impractical for most everyday users. It's your money, but there are probably 100 things you could spend money on and realize more bang for your buck than a second dual GPU card. The one possible exception would be Folding@home, in which case, I would hope you are folding for bugbruin.com. Grin

Personally I'm a singe gpu guy and would just get the fastest single gpu available. They are plenty fast and have a lot less hassles. There is a noticeable benefit to two gpu's, but there are also many drawbacks, mostly driver and support related.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved