Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Where Has Everyone Been? 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:56:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote

HughesNet says it's not available in AK (doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but support might not be very good up here). Pretty much the only options up here are Cable Modem, DSL, Wireless or Cellular. Not sure if you have cable in your area or not. One mile is easily doable with a wireless bridge if you have the right equipment, but it sounds like you don't have line of site so that's probably not an option. Asylum, Is there someone within your line of site that has some type of broadband? I thought one of the oilers on my ship had some type of satellite internet at one time and he lives in Sterling, if I see him I'll ask him about it but that probably won't be until May. (he's on the ship in the shipyard down in Portland and I'm working other vessels up here).

An EVDO solution could work, but would probably suck for gaming. If you don't get a good signal, it's possible to use an external antenna and one of the EVDO capable wireless routers remotely located to improve reception. AT&T's 3G should be coming online within the next couple months and GCI says their cellular system will be testing a 4G solution early next year, but that's way too long to wait.

Spire, I may have to take you up on that beer at lunch offer since I'll be in Soldotna March 12th. - 15th. for the Mite C State Hockey tournament (my youngest sons team will be playing). We rented a house down there (cheaper than two hotel rooms) but I don't know the address yet. If your interested let know and I'll PM you my cellphone number and maybe we can hookup Friday the 13th. Grin

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved