Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Mapower MAP-TB32 Dual SATA RAID Enclosure 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:00:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Swolodkin,
I would be concerned about using this device in a mission critical environment. I have no trouble recommending this enclosure to the average consumer for file and media storage. However, I'm hesitant to recommend it for commercial use primarily because I have no idea how large the company is and what kind of traffic volume we are talking about. Typically hardware developed for commercial use will offer redundancy in more than just their data (power supplies and cooling fans). To be honest it sounds like a temporary solution to the problem and I'm not sure it's the best place to save a couple $$$.

In a RAID 1 configuration it should be fast enough assuming we are talking about a small business with a modest number of transactions, it just doesn't have the needed hardware redundancy you should have for the type of use you're proposing. I'm not an exchange guru, but it's my understanding that the transaction logs can be essential to repairing databases if you have a failure. I guess it all depends on just how important the company thinks their databases are.

I would also add that it's better to separate the transaction logs from the databases, so if they won't be able to do this unless they use the Mapower enclosure, then it's probably better than nothing, but If life has taught me anything it's that you can tell them a hundred times that it's only a temporary solution, but as soon as it's installed and working they will forget all about finding something better until it fails. Then no one will remember you telling them it was temporary.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved