Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Speed Test 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:26:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I actually lowered my connection speed from 7Mb/768K down to 5Mb/512k because after many tests over the past 6 months it was clear I rarely scored better than 6Mb/512k so I figured I might as well save $20/month. Latest test shows 5020k/417k which is close enough to what I'm paying for. The fastest available up here is 10Mb/1Mb, but I've noticed that unless the downloaded file in question is cached locally you rarely are able to get more than 5Mb down. Connections to the lower 48 seem to cap right in that area, off course you can still open multiple connections but paying $99/month for 10/1 seems a bit spendy to me.

The only way it's going to get better up here is if they run another fiber optic cable to Seattle or Portland. I believe we have 3 or 4 right now, but haven't heard any plans for another one in the near future. It's a shame really, but at least when they added the most recent one our latencies went down a bit so Alaskan's don't get fragged quit as bad in the online FPS's as they used to when some of the traffic went via satellite.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved