Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: DreamCatcher v2.0 “Worklog” 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:01:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote

All righty now…..time to get on with it! Going to kinda start over on the water cooling stuff now that everything appears to be here!

Initially when I got home on the day of arrival I was greeted by THE BOX

And inside were all of the goodies as well as some extra, thanks slame!

Just, for me anyway, there is still one major thing missing….a set of instruction for setting up the 240 IN ENGLISH. Slame any suggestions for a source I can download?

The letter with the GPU bracket arrived Saturday and between trying to finish a friends MicroFly build (link) I started puttsin’ with the w/c stuff. First off was to convert the GPU block from ATI to 8800GT. The bock is a beautiful example of engineering and simplicity. Still regret that the case design didn’t let me use the full coverage version though. What you see is the unit apart, then it is nvidia, and then with the connectors. When I mounted it on the card I had to make a few assumptions as there weren’t any instructions (guess it mounts like a chipset cooler!). You’ll see it up close and the whole card.

Now on to mounting everything to the mobo….figured the best way to locate where I wanted the bulkhead connectors was to lay out the plumbing as the Plug & Cool tubing is very rigid and needs a large bend radii to work. Have everything ready to go, added the Aquaduct 240 controller and started laying out tubing.

Then it dawned on me that I better ask about the CPU block in and out points (see above) and as luck would have it was “upside down” to what I wanted to do so had to reseat the water block! Spotted where I wanted to mount the bulkhead fittings and realized I didn’t have a drill bit large enough. However with the hole pattern it turns out all I had to do, using the dremel, make a few cuts, hand file, and mount the units. So here you have the internal plumbing. The last picture kind of shows just how rigid the hose is as it is pushing the vertical part of the mobo tray outward. Luckily the mounting screws will keep it in place. Really can’t shorten the tube as it will want to kink at the block.

Now it is time to see what the tubing will interfere with once the mobo tray gets shoved into place. As it turns out the only “obvious” interference seems to the double loop coming from the GPU as 1.) when you first start (catches on the chassis opening) but easily handled by just pushing them down, and 2.) Working around the IDE cable as it comes down from the optical drives.

With the final installation wiring management should clean up a lot of the other “secondary” issues. And in closing here are a couple of views “from the rear” with the mobo mounted in the chassis showing the bulkhead fittings. So it seems I may have accomplished on of my goals on this build and that is being able to remove the mobo tray and leave the internal water loop intact.

DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved