Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Yoda’s SMN Work Log..v1.0 & v2.0 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:17:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote

SUSHRUKH wrote:
The HTPC is looking quite cool jedihobbit . Nice build & thanks for showing it to us. Smile

My pleasure & thanks as I can always use warm fuzzies! Laughing BTW believe it or not it isn't a HTPC - I just like mATX systems! Yikes This is only one of three ( you've already found one other) systems currently being worked on.

So now on to the latest and greatest.......... errr latest anyway. Laughing

Worked on putting YsSMN together over the last couple of days as the wife recoups from her foot surgery. Using DreamCatcher as my template I figured it would be a quick and painless effort. So much for the painless part! Just making 2 – 3 hardware changes made a big difference in how the cables and wiring go! Also add to the time frame of having to respond to the wife’s requests for help and you about double the required time for assembly. However for a mATX case it went fairly quickly.

The stuff different from DC consisted of:
1. HDD cooler
2. 3-speed I/O switch
3. “Unsleeved” PSU cables
4. A last minute “Laser Light Mod”
5. An EL lighted FDD cable

Here we have YsSMN (front) and DreamCatcher v2.0 (rear) together on the table with me trying to get “mentally” prepared to start stuffing things into the box!

The following pictures show YsSMN from several angles as I started to figure out where I wanted stuff to run. Some of the power distribution ended up being different from DC because of the new items added. Also one of my “major” disappointments came from the Liberty 500’s power cables. As I had not sent them to performance-pcs to be sleeved I had planned on “borrowing” a couple already done. Unfortunately the PSU plugs are different between the 500W and the 620W, it seems the 620W just blanks off one of the 6 pens whereas the 500W only has 5 pins…..oh well.

Can’t quite remember when I got to this point, but here is everything in its place with me getting the nerve to power it up.

First off here is what it looked like from the rear with the PSU and everything in place.

On this side you’ll notice where I mounted the converter for the EL wire on the FDD cable (lower left) on the front next to the 80mm fan. The PSU cable comes through an opening in the cross brace and is wire tied with everything going to it under the brace in two places. If you look closely in the middle I still have one molex open. As it turns out this PSU cable is handling the front 80mm, the Raptor’s HDD, EL converter, temperature gage, and the Laser Light Mod.

On the opposite side if you look on the right hand side (front) you’ll see where I crudely attached the Laser Light Mod with a wire tie to a couple of cooling holes. Also you can see the GPU power cable (blue) and the second PSU power cable powers the Raptor’s cooler, the bay mounted cooler, the DVD-RW, and FDD. On the left hand side is the 3-speed controller (white block) with the top wire going to the 3-fan cooler and the bottom one plugging into the cable attached to the PSU.

When I powered the system up M$ decided to pull some BS. When I started it up it would “boot go to windows - boot go to windows - boot go to windows”.....you get the picture. Anyway out of desperation I reset the cmos jumper. Finally go it to go into windows when

"Need to initalize windows before....." okay no big deal, that is until it doesn't want to do it on line "can't find internet connection". So I had to do the telephone bit, well at least that part worked.

I had done some initial oc’ing when this combo was still DreamCatcher, which settings were lost when I had to do the cmos thingy. Then it dawned on me....."I DIDN'T DOCUMENT MY OC SETTINGS FOR THE 170!!!!!!!!!!". Smash The worst part is I don't remember the mem settings, the rest I can fake.

Before working on the OC’ing part again, here it is running “in the dark”…….left side, right side, and two ¾ left front views.

Now on to the overclocking! Wink

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved