Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Yoda’s SMN Work Log..v1.0 & v2.0 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 00:14:02    Post Subject: Yoda’s SMN Work Log..v1.0 & v2.0 Reply with quote

I was going to build a server with this name, however having decided to move the server to BluHaz reDux v2.0, I changed a few things with Y’s SMN. To begin with let’s do the obvious and list the specs.

CASE: Ultra MicroFly mATX “Hybrid”**
PSU: Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT 500W (NEW)
MOBO: Biostar Tforce 6100-939
CPU: AMD Opteron 170,
HSF: Zalman CNS7000
GPU: Sapphire HD3870 (NEW)
MEMORY: g. skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ (2 x 1024)
HDD: WD Raptor X, 150 Gigs
Optical Drive 1: LG GSA-H42N-BK, 18X DVD+R Burner

**Hybrid = the case assembly consists of the chassis from a MX6 with the exterior parts from a windowed MicroFly.

Originally the Biostar / Opty were to go into BluHaz reDux as part of its v2.0 build. However there was one small fitting issue……

With not wanting to change out the hsf on the 170, or move the blow hole fan, and being concerned about heat from the oc’ed proc decided to move everything over to the Yoda’s SMN (Size Matters Not) build. Besides, by transferring the Raptor X from the original DreamCatcher, I wouldn’t have to reload any software! The two new(est) pieces of hardware are the PSU and GPU….’course the P was needed for the G.

As the case was originally meant to be “just a server” no major mods were planned and still aren’t > Running out of time, money, and interest. The little stuff planned will be:

1.) Remove the stamped grills for the front 80mm and the rear 120mm
2.) Swap out the stock fans for LED
3.) Rounded cables (the FDD is EL for S & Gs)
4.) May at a later day do an LED fan and acrylic cover for the PSU
5.) Various sleeved cables

As it is the “backup” machine and a slight money saver it was decided to go with only one optical drive. Also in a move to speed up assembly I “stole” the LG DVD+R from DreamCatcher v2.0. Still gonna keep the dinosaur, a FDD.

Cooling would seem to be my biggest concern as inside this little case I will be cramming a heavily oc’ed 170, a single-slot HD3870 (to be oc’ed), and a WD Raptor X. Three nice heat sources.

To add more air in (and noise??) I’ve taken the Evercool 3 fan HDD cooler from Celtic Spirit’s (one of my long sad stories) parts box. Right now I’m trying to figure out if I want just a “normal” 120mm exhaust fan (led of course) or go for more noise and install a Tt SmartFan 2. If the Tt gets used think I’ll use the thermister and see how well it can do case temp as opposed to cpu.

I do have one advantage on putting this case together…..most of the cable runs will be the same as DC so all I have to do is “copy”.

Borrowed some pics from DC v2.0

1. Before disassembly 2. Panels removed except faceplate 3. Faceplates gone and you can see on the right where I need to remove Y’s SMN 80mm “grill”

When I first started putting YsSMN together, I hadn’t thought about the HDD cooler and still thought about adding a DVD-ROM. That is why you see the DVD-R in the second slot.

Here I’ve cut out the front and rear stamped fan grills, and regrettably was very caviler about it as “it wasn’t to be a bling build.” The first shot is when you don’t give a flip and the second is when you do (DreamCatcher). Did a neater job of cutting, then again with DC the chassis had been de-milled while with YsSMN the cut was done assembled.

Also had to notch the rear of the case to allow clearance for the NC-U6 NB cooler. This time however I didn’t do the U shaped version, just took off the whole corner. For some reason this MX6 chassis doesn’t seem to be as “tight” as the original MicroFly. I noticed this not only when aligning the notches, cutouts, etc. but also when mounting the things in the drive tray area.

The front of the chassis is shown with the bay items mounted and the front 80mm fan with cutout. The fan is blue LED BTW. You’ll notice the optical drive was moved to the top bay. Figured if the cooler was lower there would be better cross flow to the 120 and it would blow across the GPU. Then I threw on the front bezel.

Speaking of the bezel……. One of the biggest complaints I’ve came across with the Ultra MicroFly case (other than a supposed flimsy handle) is cooling. While the chassis is fairly open and the front looks like Swiss cheese, the front bezel is “solid” with the only “air vents” above the handle.

While it had been in the back of my mind to work on this, I hadn’t planned on doing anything. Down the pike I had thought about removing some of the plastic in front and maybe “blending” in some sort of screen like material. Then had a little inspiration and decided to drill a “few holes” under the handle. That way if I fubared it would be hidden. So…………

1. Traced around the handle with a pencil to see what area was covered.
2. Eyeball laid out a hole pattern and “punched” the centers
3. Then drill the holes. Which actually (to me anyway) didn’t look half bad.

The handle doesn’t lay flat against the face so there is room for air to get around it to the holes. This is the area I had thought about removing mentioned above. If I do this later may look at trying to remove the handle as I don’t use it anyway.

Just for S & Gs thought I’d throw in a picture of the Raptor / cooler mounted. After that is a pic of what I hope will help tame some of the noise the front mounted cooler’s 3 fans will make. It has HIGH / MEDIUM / LOW settings (100% - 75% - 50%)

The Sapphire HD3870 came in while I was at work so I had something to play with when I got home. Note, while the link shows red - this one is BLUE!! One thing that kinda stood out is Sapphire doesn’t spend much for packaging as compared to evga. Got the equivalent stuff just shoved into a smaller box.

No big deal to get it mounted to the mobo……… here is in place - side view, ¾ top view, and the only “close” fit on the mobo, the southbridge cooler.

Then went to slide the mobo tray assembly into place and Size does matter!! In the first shot you’ll see the limited amount of room from the top of the card to the chassis opening. As a matter of fact I scratched the plastic on the cooler when sliding the 3870 in. Then one has to be careful of the chassis flex as one could snag the fan grill on the PSU if not careful.

Once everything was in place and the tray thumbscrews doing their thing have about 3/32 – 1/8 inch between the top of the card and the PSU and support frame. Defiantly tight!!

As I’ve been working primarily on BHrDx v2.0 it’ll be later before anymore happens…….

Last edited by jedihobbit on Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:43:05; edited 1 time in total

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved