Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: is ddr2 6400 worth the upgrade? 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 20:28:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote

grumpyboy wrote:

How can they be 1:1 when the memory is set to x 2?
?

It is considered 1:1 because it is the same base frequency as the cpu. 333Mhz x 2 memory bus multi = 667Mhz (since it's ddr2 divide by 2 and you end up with 333Mhz memory bus speed or 1:1) If you were to run your memory at the 2.5x multiplier you would get 333Mhz (cpu fsb) x 2.5 memory bus multi = 832Mhz / 2 for DDR2 = 416Mhz for memory bus speed, ie 4:5). Why Gigabyte did it this way instead of the standard 1:1, 4:5 etc I couldn't tell you, but it can be confusing.

grumpyboy wrote:

667 mhz? you mean the bus speed/host clock speed ?

I thought the c2d didn't have a fsb? does fsb mean host clock speed now ?

Host clock, bus speed, fsb etc. just different names for the essentially the same things. Since the memory and cpu can be unlinked, they had to find a way to differentiate the two, so they came up with new names.

I probably should have said keep the cpu @ 333Mhz. In the post above I was using the memory bus speed of 667Mhz (DDR2) vs 830Mhz. Another way of saying it would have been cpu bus of 333Mhz vs memory bus of 416Mhz. Gigabyte chose to show the DDR2 memory bus speed instead of the "true memory bus speed of 416Mhz.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved