Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: The Thumb Drive RAID Experiment 
Enigmachine
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:18:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Hey good timing!

I was just going to try to do this thing using SD cards & thumb drives under FreeNAS. Looks like it would probably work, but it's no more stable than the weakest part... Thanks for trying it out!

I wonder where I could find a source of free 128 meg drives, I bet some people are throwing them out these days... Plug in 127 of them and you get a 16 gig array! Smile As a nice side effect, you might also get pretty x-mas lights that blink as you access your striped files. Smile

redders, I just plugged in a OCZ Rally thumb drive in my FreeNAS and it detected it right away, all I would need to do now is to reformat the drive in raid format and I could add it to a RAID array. Looks like FreeNAS supports all kinds of USB drives (Flash drives, HDDs, CF cards) without any problems as part of RAID arrays, probably many others systems do too. You can boot FreeNAS off thumb drives and others so you might not even need to create a new partition on your current machine to try it out.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved